Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Third visit to Tamil restaurant

+2
MaxEntropy_Man
Uppili
6 posters

Go down

Third visit to Tamil restaurant Empty Third visit to Tamil restaurant

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:53 am

About to go to the tamil restaurant for the third time. Will post an update on my visit for the benefit of all my friends and fans.

Back to top Go down

Third visit to Tamil restaurant Empty Re: Third visit to Tamil restaurant

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:56 am

thank you. i am looking forward to it. this is great education for me on tamil food. take pics. if possible. also, take care not to fall sick by eating too much tamilian fare -- then the whole purpose will stand defeated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Uppili Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Rashmun wrote:About to go to the tamil restaurant for the third time. Will post an update on my visit for the benefit of all my friends and fans.

lol!

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:About to go to the tamil restaurant for the third time. Will post an update on my visit for the benefit of all my friends and fans.

lol!

The lunch buffet is about to start in a few minutes. I am waiting and wondering whether Uppili is my friend or my fan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:22 pm

LOL. *rashmun take pics.!*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:LOL. *rashmun take pics.!*

Have taken some pictures. Will post them later.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:38 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Uppili wrote:

lol!

The lunch buffet is about to start in a few minutes. I am waiting and wondering whether Uppili is my friend or my fan.

One of the dishes in the buffet looked a little peculiar. It is called Mirchi Saalan. Saalan sometimes refers to meat in NI but this mirchi salan is vegetarian and its nice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:46 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Uppili wrote:

lol!

One of the dishes in the buffet looked a little peculiar. It is called Mirchi Saalan. Saalan sometimes refers to meat in NI but this mirchi salan is vegetarian and its nice.
i though salaan (as in mirch ka salaan -- vegetarian) was a nizami dish. funny you found it in a tamilian resataurant. was it TCH that you visited? i never knew the meaning of salaan. i have never heard of meat being called salaan in hindi but i may be wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Uppili wrote:

lol!

i though salaan (as in mirch ka salaan -- vegetarian) was a nizami dish. funny you found it in a tamilian resataurant. i never knew the meaning of salaan. i have never heard of meat being called salaan in hindi but i may be wrong.

It's a tamil restaurant but the owner is a Mallu and some of the staff (cook, waiter, etc.) are telugus. Bisi Bele Bath is one item on the menu (though not available in the buffet) and this is a dish native to Karnataka.

For the dessert there were sliced miscellaneous fruits, rice pudding with almonds and raisins and perhaps other nuts, and mango mousse. The mango mousse and rice pudding were both excellent and I ended up taking another helping of the mango mousse which was so good that the thought occurred to me that I would like to have this for my very last meal before I go to meet God.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Rashmun wrote: The mango mousse and rice pudding were both excellent and I ended up taking another helping of the mango mousse which was so good that the thought occurred to me that I would like to have this for my very last meal before I go to meet God.
LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Uppili Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Rashmun wrote:
i though salaan (as in mirch ka salaan -- vegetarian) was a nizami dish. funny you found it in a tamilian resataurant. i never knew the meaning of salaan. i have never heard of meat being called salaan in hindi but i may be wrong. [/quote]

It's a tamil restaurant but the owner is a Mallu and some of the staff (cook, waiter, etc.) are telugus. Bisi Bele Bath is one item on the menu (though not available in the buffet) and this is a dish native to Karnataka.

For the dessert there were sliced miscellaneous fruits, rice pudding with almonds and raisins and perhaps other nuts, and mango mousse. The mango mousse and rice pudding were both excellent and I ended up taking another helping of the mango mousse which was so good that the thought occurred to me that I would like to have this for my very last meal before I go to meet God.[/quote]

What made you think it is a TAMIL restaurant? What is the name of the restaurant?

the owner, cook, dishes are all mostly non-TN origin. So how can you claim so? is the owner claiming it to be a Tamil or vegetarian or or Southie restaurant?

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
i though salaan (as in mirch ka salaan -- vegetarian) was a nizami dish. funny you found it in a tamilian resataurant. i never knew the meaning of salaan. i have never heard of meat being called salaan in hindi but i may be wrong.

For the dessert there were sliced miscellaneous fruits, rice pudding with almonds and raisins and perhaps other nuts, and mango mousse. The mango mousse and rice pudding were both excellent and I ended up taking another helping of the mango mousse which was so good that the thought occurred to me that I would like to have this for my very last meal before I go to meet God.[/quote]

What made you think it is a TAMIL restaurant? What is the name of the restaurant?

the owner, cook, dishes are all mostly non-TN origin. So how can you claim so? is the owner claiming it to be a Tamil or vegetarian or or Southie restaurant?[/quote]

I am calling it a tamil restaurant based on the name of the restaurant. Yes it is pure vegetarian.

Back to top Go down

Post by Uppili Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Rashmun wrote:
I am calling it a tamil restaurant based on the name of the restaurant. Yes it is pure vegetarian.

okiee.....Unless it is called "Muniyaandi Vilas" it is NOT a Tamilian restaurant.

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:19 pm

salaan means sabzi in hindi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:22 pm

Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

okiee.....Unless it is called "Muniyaandi Vilas" it is NOT a Tamilian restaurant.

So you think Madras is not a part of TN? Thank you for that information.

Note: you did say that your mom is Telugu and I know many telugus think Madras should have been a part of AP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:25 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:salaan means sabzi in hindi.

There seems to be some ambiguity about this word. For instance:

An aunt, the eldest in our gluttonous family, insists that salan means any meat cooked with any vegetable.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2006/20060326/spectrum/food.htm

-----

salan (a gravy dish of meat or vegetable),

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awadhi_cuisine

Last edited by Rashmun on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Uppili Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:26 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Note: you did say that your mom is Telugu and I know many telugus think Madras should have been a part of AP.

My mom - a Gult ? Where did I say that ?

He must have named it after Madras, OR. How can you say it is not.

Besides, he must have named it only for the sake of Naarthies - bcz they dont know any other city than Madras.

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Besides, he must have named it only for the sake of Naarthies - bcz they dont know any other city than Madras.

Didn't you say in an earlier post that your mom's family are from AP?

Back to top Go down

Post by Uppili Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Hahaha...This is what happens when you have half-baked knowledge about anything and apply it to to anything to justify what you have already made up in your mind.

Whatever I say is true and whatever i say is also not true....You are still far...far far below my level and ill-equipped to decipher and understand me.

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Uppili wrote:

Hahaha...This is what happens when you have half-baked knowledge about anything and apply it to to anything to justify what you have already made up in your mind.

Whatever I say is true and whatever i say is also not true....You are still far...far far below my level and ill-equipped to decipher and understand me.

Are you embarrassed that your mom's family is from AP?

Back to top Go down

Post by Uppili Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:54 pm

Rashmun wrote:

hahaha....try that trick with someone else..

Don't you know AP was part of TN prior to 1954?

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Good point. So you agree that your mom's family are from present day AP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Uppili Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Don't you know - by now - not to infer from my statements based on your assumptions and application of your half-baked knowledge?

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:13 pm

mirch ka saalan is a hyderabadi dish. not sure if it is of nizami origin.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:24 pm

It's plural too. i wonder who they are. Can the 'fans' identify themselves pls or can the OP let us know who they are. Claims need to be backed up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Don't you know - by now - not to infer from my statements based on your assumptions and application of your half-baked knowledge?

There is no inference involved since you yourself had revealed in an earlier post that your mom's family is from present day AP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Uppili Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Uppili wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

There is no inference involved since you yourself had revealed in an earlier post that your mom's family is from present day AP.

Yeah rite.... We believe you. We must - after all.

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Uppili wrote:

lol!

For the dessert there were sliced miscellaneous fruits, rice pudding with almonds and raisins and perhaps other nuts, and mango mousse. The mango mousse and rice pudding were both excellent and I ended up taking another helping of the mango mousse which was so good that the thought occurred to me that I would like to have this for my very last meal before I go to meet God.

Still feeling stuffed. Will have to skip dinner. The Masala Dosa I had in the buffet was very good as well. Although every other item was on the food table, the waiter from Nizamabad brought the dosa directly to my table after asking me about how I wanted it. I told him I want it non spicy i.e. with none of the hot spicy sauce which is characteristic of the Mysore masala dosa. I also told him I want my dosa made with 'no oil'. The fact that restaurants can prepare dosa with 'no oil' was something I learned in Bangalore. I started ordering the no oil doses after an elderly Bangalore book-seller told me about his heart attack which he attributed to eating crisp dosas on a regular basis.

There was also piping hot idlis, vadas,which I had with some excellent sambhar. The coconut chutney was a disappointment though. Completely bland. In retrospect I should have complained about it.

The venn pongal was good as well, but with too much salt in it. I told this to the waiter and later he apologized for this.

Will post some pictures later.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:14 pm

does this place serve "dosa" or "dosai"?

thanks.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:29 pm

bw wrote:does this place serve "dosa" or "dosai"?

thanks.

Don't remember now.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Looks like poor thing Rashmun is still feeling sick; only can only hope that it is not morning sickness.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Why did you delete your post dude! Yes I just had lobotomy, I think clearly now.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Still feeling stuffed. Will have to skip dinner. The Masala Dosa I had in the buffet was very good as well. Although every other item was on the food table, the waiter from Nizamabad brought the dosa directly to my table after asking me about how I wanted it. I told him I want it non spicy i.e. with none of the hot spicy sauce which is characteristic of the Mysore masala dosa. I also told him I want my dosa made with 'no oil'. The fact that restaurants can prepare dosa with 'no oil' was something I learned in Bangalore. I started ordering the no oil doses after an elderly Bangalore book-seller told me about his heart attack which he attributed to eating crisp dosas on a regular basis.

There was also piping hot idlis, vadas,which I had with some excellent sambhar. The coconut chutney was a disappointment though. Completely bland. In retrospect I should have complained about it.

The venn pongal was good as well, but with too much salt in it. I told this to the waiter and later he apologized for this.

Freshly squeezed lemon juice with sparkling mineral water. That was my dinner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:37 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

>>>>Looks like carb city. You may want to watch that too. I limit myself to plain dosas and an idli or two when I go to these types of joints. Coconut chutney is probably my weakness. Other than that, my system does not seem to adjust well to indulging.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down