Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uttar Pradesh:The pride of India

+9
confuzzled dude
Petrichor
goodcitizn
Merlot Daruwala
bw
iTEDx
southindian
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Uttar Pradesh:The pride of India Empty Uttar Pradesh:The pride of India

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Uttar Pradesh:The pride of India Taj_mahal_agra_india_hd-normal

Back to top Go down

Uttar Pradesh:The pride of India Empty Re: Uttar Pradesh:The pride of India

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Uttar Pradesh:The pride of India Taj+Mahal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:52 pm

Uttar Pradesh:The pride of India Taj-Mahal-Amazing-Beauty-Color-Streak

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:22 pm

European merchants and traders who visited Uttar Pradesh during the mughal rule compared the cities of Agra and Delhi very favorably to contemporary London and Paris.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:22 pm

my impression of agra is that it is an unmitigated shit hole. this is based on two visits - once in the 80s and once in 2002.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:23 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:my impression of agra is that it is an unmitigated shit hole. this is based on two visits - once in the 80s and once in 2002.

Absolutely!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:56 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:my impression of agra is that it is an unmitigated shit hole. this is based on two visits - once in the 80s and once in 2002.

many other people would agree with you. the question is: why were the european travelers and merchants of the 16th and 17 centuries to India comparing Agra and Delhi to Paris and London. The answer seems to be that the mughals (who were in power at that time) had ensured that these cities remained beautiful and clean. The decline of the mughals meant the decline of these two great cities of India. Never the less the historic monuments at Agra, Fatehpur Sikri, Delhi and other places are a testament to the splendor of mughal rule.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:54 pm

These looked to be heavily doctored pictures.

Anyway, by 2023 India will surpass China in highest population. People will then be living inside Taj Mahal, so till then all of you can call your village, city as pride.

southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:59 pm

-- come on! To be totally objective, you can say that about any and all cities of India. Objectively speaking all of India is a shithole for the same reasons. The pics of Agra and the Taj mahal posted on this site are breathtakingly beautiful.

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:20 pm

london was also a shit hole when charles dickens wrote about it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:22 pm

dickens's london:
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/How-Charles-Dickens-Saw-London.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:london was also a shit hole when charles dickens wrote about it.

what about Paris?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:29 pm

and here is dickens's paris in the era of the tale of two cities (http://dickens.stanford.edu/dickens/archive/tale/issue2_gloss.html):

In the 18th century, cesspools and kennels – drains in the middle of street – were the primary means of dealing with wastes in Paris. However, the most usual method for disposing of garbage was “tout-a-la-rue” – “all in the street.” The practice of chucking household garbage out the window had existed since the period of the earliest attempts at sanitation in Paris, but persisted into the 19th century, and was certainly the mode at the period in which A Tale of Two Cities is set: In 1780, an ordinance “once again forbade people from throwing water, urine, feces or household garbage out the window” (Krupa, Paris: Urban Sanitation), and Dickens himself describes how “…the room or rooms within every door that opened on the general staircase [in the Saint-Antoine dwelling] left its own heap of refuse on its own landing, besides flinging other refuse from its own windows.” Thus, not only would there be “no drainage to carry off the wine” spilled in the Paris street Dickens describes, but drinking wine that had fallen on the paving stones could seriously compromise one’s health.

so the comparison to london and paris of that era is probably quite apt. except london and paris cleaned up and agra remains a shithole.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and here is dickens's paris in the era of the tale of two cities (http://dickens.stanford.edu/dickens/archive/tale/issue2_gloss.html):

In the 18th century, cesspools and kennels – drains in the middle of street – were the primary means of dealing with wastes in Paris. However, the most usual method for disposing of garbage was “tout-a-la-rue” – “all in the street.” The practice of chucking household garbage out the window had existed since the period of the earliest attempts at sanitation in Paris, but persisted into the 19th century, and was certainly the mode at the period in which A Tale of Two Cities is set: In 1780, an ordinance “once again forbade people from throwing water, urine, feces or household garbage out the window” (Krupa, Paris: Urban Sanitation), and Dickens himself describes how “…the room or rooms within every door that opened on the general staircase [in the Saint-Antoine dwelling] left its own heap of refuse on its own landing, besides flinging other refuse from its own windows.” Thus, not only would there be “no drainage to carry off the wine” spilled in the Paris street Dickens describes, but drinking wine that had fallen on the paving stones could seriously compromise one’s health.

so the comparison to london and paris of that era is probably quite apt. except london and paris cleaned up and agra remains a shithole.

you are comparing 19th century london and paris with 16th and 17th century Agra and Delhi. You should be comparing 16th and 17th century Agra and Delhi with the London and Paris of those times. France at the end of the 19th century was in pretty bad shape as every student of french history knows. in fact, things were so bad that there was a revolution against the reigning monarchy, then a restoration of the monarchy, then again removal of the monarchy. So do not compare those turbulent times in France with the halcyon days in delhi and agra during the heydays of mughal rule. The 16th and 17th century european travelers who compared delhi and agra with london and paris clearly indicated that they were impressed by delhi and agra.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:56 pm

sanitation is and was unknown in india and i can't believe things were better back then. the only saving grace might be that there were fewer people. using nightsoil collectors to tidy up palaces and mausoleums is no sign of a great city. agra is a shit hole now and was probably slightly less of a shit hole because there were fewer people back then.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:06 pm

These ppl are invaders from the middle east to india. This king covets a married woman, gets her husband murdered in order to marry her. And then gives all the powers to her while he drowns in carnal pleasures. The lady misrules the kingdom putting her subjects to hardships. And then she dies at child birth. Then the good for nothing king spends all the tax payers' money to build a grave for his wife. What a useless thing for his subjects! I also heard that the hands of the artisans have been chopped off after the construction of the grave coz the king didn't want any of it to be replicated anywhere. The art and architecture of the grave is in persian style. There's nothing indian about it.
Why is it shown as a symbol representing india? I heard that the britishers didn't want to promote something hindu (eg, the ancient temples) and hence chose a non-religious grave to represent india. Also, there's some cynicism in promoting something built by the invaders and downplay the indigenous ppl.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:16 pm

nenu wrote:These ppl are invaders from the middle east to india. This king covets a married woman, gets her husband murdered in order to marry her. And then gives all the powers to her while he drowns in carnal pleasures. The lady misrules the kingdom putting her subjects to hardships. And then she dies at child birth. Then the good for nothing king spends all the tax payers' money to build a grave for his wife. What a useless thing for his subjects! I also heard that the hands of the artisans have been chopped off after the construction of the grave coz the king didn't want any of it to be replicated anywhere. The art and architecture of the grave is in persian style. There's nothing indian about it.
Why is it shown as a symbol representing india? I heard that the britishers didn't want to promote something hindu (eg, the ancient temples) and hence chose a non-religious grave to represent india. Also, there's some cynicism in promoting something built by the invaders and downplay the indigenous ppl.

you are totally confused about mughal history. the allegation about coveting a married woman and getting her husband killed so as to marry her is made against shah jahan's father jahangir. this is a gossip started long after jahangir's death; as of today no serious historian takes this piece of gossip seriously. the truth is that jahangir had married a widow whom he named noor jahan. noor jahan became the power behind the throne during jahangir's last days since he had started keeping in poor health. Among other things, he suffered from a serious case of asthma. taj mahal was built by shah jahan (jahangir's son) in honor of his wife mumtaz mahal. these people were totally indian in their outlook. for instance, jahangir writes in his autobiography that his favorite fruit is the mango (as compared to his great grandfather and first mughal emperor Babur who preferred the melons and musk melons of his native farghana/samarkand). further, his favorite holy man was the hindu saint Jadrup. the mughals had come from central asia, and not middle east. this again shows your ignorance of mughal history. the story of the hands of artisans who constructed the taj mahal being chopped off is again vulgar gossip and nothing else. with your level of knowledge of mughal history you would do well to shut up and listen to those more knowledgeable than you on this subject.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:19 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:sanitation is and was unknown in india and i can't believe things were better back then. the only saving grace might be that there were fewer people.  using nightsoil collectors to tidy up palaces and mausoleums is no sign of a great city. agra is a shit hole now and was probably slightly less of a shit hole because there were fewer people back then.  

great point about over-population contributing to making agra dirty as compared to the good old days of the heydays of mughal rule when it was a clean city. On another note, in my opinion you are wrong in your view about sanitation in India. For instance, consider the rule that only the left hand could be used for doing your daily ablutions. also, the indians were brushing their teeth using neem twigs, etc. and maintaining dental hygiene. Consider also that there were covered drains in Harappa as is evident from the archaeological excavations. So the idea of sanitation in India is 5,000 years old.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:24 pm

is nightsoil collection still prevalent in northindia?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:25 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:is nightsoil collection still prevalent in northindia?

it is prevalent everywhere in india. what's your point?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Rashmun wrote:

i don't think so. i think it is far more prevalent in the feudalistic north. i was just thinking about how the moghals may have cleaned up the immediate vicinity of their palaces, gardens, and mausoleums using nightsoil collectors. then the painful realization dawned on me that northindia still has nightsoil collectors.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:31 pm

"The name Mughal is derived from the original homelands of the Timurids, the Central Asian steppes once conquered by Genghis Khan and hence known as Moghulistan, "Land of Mongols". Although early Mughals spoke the Chagatai language and maintained some Turko-Mongolpractices, they became essentially Persianized[15] and transferred the Persian literary and high culture[15] to India"

from wiki. 

PS: No more arguments with you. *yawn!* You continue with max. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:32 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

i don't think so. i think it is far more prevalent in the feudalistic north. i was just thinking about how the moghals may have cleaned up the immediate vicinity of their palaces, gardens, and mausoleums using nightsoil collectors. then the painful realization dawned on me that northindia still has nightsoil collectors.

Looks like you need a larger dose of Coco to not get baited into this every time, Il Profesore.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:50 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Max, you are not keeping up with news and your age is catching up as well. I'm afraid the new puppy will also take away valuable time.

http://tvaraj.com/2012/08/13/manual-scavenging-in-india/

Google helps
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:52 pm

nenu wrote:"The name Mughal is derived from the original homelands of the Timurids, the Central Asian steppes once conquered by Genghis Khan and hence known as Moghulistan, "Land of Mongols". Although early Mughals spoke the Chagatai language and maintained some Turko-Mongolpractices, they became essentially Persianized[15] and transferred the Persian literary and high culture[15] to India"

from wiki. 

PS: No more arguments with you. *yawn!* You continue with max. 

in an earlier post, u had written "These ppl are invaders from the middle east to india." This was clearly false since their homeland was central asia and not persia. then u went on to give cheap gossip (like hands of artisans who built taj mahal being cut off) as facts. not to mention the fact that you confused jahangir and shah jahan. you imputed another gossip about jahangir to shah jahan. hence my annoyance with you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Not to distract you Il Professore, but you are now collecting puppy poop. Be careful of what you are treading into.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:58 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Not to distract you Il Professore, but you are now collecting puppy poop. Be careful of what you are treading into.

rofl

LOL,

What? Max the night soil collector? Did he ever think of becoming a poop picker at his age?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:02 pm

southindian wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Not to distract you Il Professore, but you are now collecting puppy poop. Be careful of what you are treading into.

rofl

LOL,

What? Max the night soil collector? Did he ever think of becoming a poop picker at his age?

Let's not get abusive. All of us have biases. I am sure we can have vigorous discussions without resorting to vulgarities.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:29 pm

i am reminded of the sound and light show at the red fort that talks of all this - the rise and the eventual decay of the mughals. sitting on the lawn watching(listening to) this show was a very nice experience.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:38 pm

bw wrote:i am reminded of the sound and light show at the red fort that talks of all this - the rise and the eventual decay of the mughals. sitting on the lawn watching(listening to) this show was a very nice experience.

I remember going to this show at the red fort. Do you remember the laughing woman uttering the word 'watermelons' ?

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:45 pm

Rashmun wrote:
bw wrote:i am reminded of the sound and light show at the red fort that talks of all this - the rise and the eventual decay of the mughals. sitting on the lawn watching(listening to) this show was a very nice experience.

I remember going to this show at the red fort. Do you remember the laughing woman uttering the word 'watermelons' ?

i recall a lot of giggling women - not this specific line. they do talk a lot about the splendour of delhi. i took my kids to this recently when we visited delhi - while they enjoyed the narration, they weren't too impressed by the "special effects". they are spoilt by CGI.

i think it is a very nicely done show and find it quite a stirring experience.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:26 am

Rashmun wrote:

many other people would agree with you. the question is: why were the european travelers and merchants of the 16th and 17 centuries to India comparing Agra and Delhi to Paris and London.

Until the 19th century, Paris and London were unmitigated shit holes too. Sewer systems and septic tanks started getting built only after the 1850s. Trash bins were installed on streets only in the 1890s, against stiff public opposition.

All those sanitized images of the great cities you see in historical movies are completely fictitious. But who wants to see excreta and garbage piled along the sides of the streets in the movies?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:30 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

many other people would agree with you. the question is: why were the european travelers and merchants of the 16th and 17 centuries to India comparing Agra and Delhi to Paris and London.

Until the 19th century, Paris and London were unmitigated shit holes too. Sewer systems and septic tanks started getting built only after the 1850s. Trash bins were installed on streets only in the 1890s, against stiff public opposition.

All those sanitized images of the great cities you see in historical movies are completely fictitious. But who wants to see excreta and garbage piled along the sides of the streets in the movies?

that in essence was my point. if dickens's writings in the 19th century described the filth and pestilence of london and paris, earlier times could only have been worse. hence the comparison of agra to london and paris of the day is quite appropriate.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:35 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

that is why i like reading dickens. he had no compunctions about portraying the reality of london.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Uttar Pradesh:The pride of India DSC02642

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Rashmun wrote:Uttar Pradesh:The pride of India DSC02642

one has to say that there is nothing like this in the whole of India.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:14 pm

pollution is something ephemeral. agra can be cleaned up whenever there is the wherewithal. but the Taj, one would like to think, is forever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Ozymandias

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,

The lone and level sands stretch far away".
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:50 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Ozymandias

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,

The lone and level sands stretch far away".
One of my fav poems. Thanks for posting.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:21 pm

one interesting observation is that the islamic mausoleums of northindia look entirely persian with little or nothing that can be recognized as indigenous to india. it seems the moghals and other invaders found little of the existing architecture of northindia worthy enough to include as elements in their buildings. they may as well have assembled the buildings in iran in parts and transported them to india. however, the mosques of kerala show a distinctive indigenous architecture. 

Uttar Pradesh:The pride of India 800px-Mithqalpalli_Mosque_-_Kozhikode_-_Kerala_02
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:32 pm

Max on what basis are u claiming that islamic structures in NI have nothing that can be recognized as indigenous to India. My understanding is that the dome (like the one in the Taj Mahal) precedes the mughal and other islamic architecture in India.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:38 pm

This is the Sanchi Stupa. It is a Budhist monument located in Madhya Pradesh. Notice the dome like structure. It is evident from the picture that the existence of the dome in India precedes the building of Mughal (and other Islamic) monuments in India which contain one or several domes.
Uttar Pradesh:The pride of India 13969994-landscape-view-of-sanchi-stupa-one-pashimi-totan-dwar-west-gate-madhya-pradesh-india

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:42 pm

Islamic structure = Dome =

Uttar Pradesh:The pride of India Tirumala_gopurams

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:42 pm

Rashmun wrote:This is the Sanchi Stupa. It is a Budhist monument located in Madhya Pradesh. Notice the dome like structure. It is evident from the picture that the existence of the dome in India precedes the building of Mughal (and other Islamic) monuments in India which contain one or several domes.

Damn! I did not know that Buddhists are the original Muslims; Gotta be careful with them crazy people.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Rashmun wrote:This is the Sanchi Stupa. It is a Budhist monument located in Madhya Pradesh. Notice the dome like structure. It is evident from the picture that the existence of the dome in India precedes the building of Mughal (and other Islamic) monuments in India which contain one or several domes.
Uttar Pradesh:The pride of India 13969994-landscape-view-of-sanchi-stupa-one-pashimi-totan-dwar-west-gate-madhya-pradesh-india

that looks nothing like the dome on the taj. the onion shaped dome is found all across central asia and russia.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:48 pm

Uttar Pradesh:The pride of India 412px-StPetersDomePD
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:50 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dome

Corbel domes and true domes have been found in the ancient Middle East in modest buildings and tombs. The construction of the first technically advanced true domes began in the Roman Architectural Revolution,[1] when they were frequently used by the Romans to shape large interior spaces of temples and public buildings, such as the Pantheon. This tradition continued unabated after the adoption of Christianity in the Byzantine (East Roman) religious and secular architecture, culminating in the revolutionary pendentive dome of the 6th-century church Hagia Sophia. Squinches, the technique of making a transition from a square shaped room to a circular dome, was most likely invented by the ancient Persians. The Sassanid Empire initiated the construction of the first large-scale domes in Persia, with such royal buildings as the Palace of Ardashir, Sarvestan and Ghal'eh Dokhtar. With the Muslim conquest of Greek-Roman Syria, the Byzantine architectural style became a major influence on Muslim societies. Indeed the use of domes as a feature of Islamic architecture has gotten its roots from Roman Greater-Syria (see Dome of the Rock).
An original tradition of using multiple domes was developed in the church architecture in Russia, which had adopted Orthodox Christianity from Byzantium. Russian domes are often gilded or brightly painted, and typically have a carcass and an outer shell made of wood or metal. The onion dome became another distinctive feature in the Russian architecture, often in combination with the tented roof.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Hellsangel wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dome

Corbel domes and true domes have been found in the ancient Middle East in modest buildings and tombs. The construction of the first technically advanced true domes began in the Roman Architectural Revolution,[1] when they were frequently used by the Romans to shape large interior spaces of temples and public buildings, such as the Pantheon. This tradition continued unabated after the adoption of Christianity in the Byzantine (East Roman) religious and secular architecture, culminating in the revolutionary pendentive dome of the 6th-century church Hagia Sophia. Squinches, the technique of making a transition from a square shaped room to a circular dome, was most likely invented by the ancient Persians. The Sassanid Empire initiated the construction of the first large-scale domes in Persia, with such royal buildings as the Palace of Ardashir, Sarvestan and Ghal'eh Dokhtar. With the Muslim conquest of Greek-Roman Syria, the Byzantine architectural style became a major influence on Muslim societies. Indeed the use of domes as a feature of Islamic architecture has gotten its roots from Roman Greater-Syria (see Dome of the Rock).
An original tradition of using multiple domes was developed in the church architecture in Russia, which had adopted Orthodox Christianity from Byzantium. Russian domes are often gilded or brightly painted, and typically have a carcass and an outer shell made of wood or metal. The onion dome became another distinctive feature in the Russian architecture, often in combination with the tented roof.

Considering that the Sanchi stupa was built by Emperor Asoka in circa 3rd century BC, I am reasonably confident that the sanchi stupa was not inspired by roman architecture.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

that looks nothing like the dome on the taj. the onion shaped dome is found all across central asia and russia.

the dome on the Taj is a modification of the dome which is a feature of the Sanchi stupa. The point is that the idea of the dome was in existence in India much before mughal and other islamic monuments came into being in India. The dome cannot be said to be a foreign architectural component of a building since we have pre-Islamic Indian architecture featuring a dome.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:02 pm

the mosques of cochin:
http://in.lifestyle.yahoo.com/photos/the-historic-mosques-of-cochin-slideshow/mosques-of-kerala-photo-1334912379.html

there is a sense that the architecture of these buildings are organic to the place they are built in. there is a stamp of something intrinsic to kerala. OTOH the taj mahal and other moghal buildings are certainly full of splendor but they are discordant with the shit that surrounds them. they look exactly like what they are -- arrogant expressions of an imperial kingdom.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next