Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Force of habit

+4
southindian
nevada
Hellsangel
goodcitizn
8 posters

Go down

Force of habit Empty Force of habit

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:57 pm

Yesterday, while coming down the elevator all alone, I sneezed and automatically said "Excuse me!" Realized it was a force of habit.

Then I remembered a conversation I had with my late father years ago. We were at a gas station when the attendant took my money for the bill and returned the change. I said, "Thank you" when I received it. While we were in the car my dad asked me curiosly why I had thanked him when he wasn't doing any favor. I smiled and said I was just being polite and it was good etiquette. Then he commented that there were two problems with this philosophy on etiquette. One, thanking when it was not necessary meant that the next person who failed to thank would automatically be construed as being rude; and, second, such meaningless routine gesture of thanks takes away from really thanking someone for his or her good deed. Then he started his usual tirade on the superficiality of western etiquettes.

Well, just an anecdote. Nothing to sneeze about.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Force of habit Empty Re: Force of habit

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:59 pm

On that note, GC, how are you?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Hellsangel wrote:On that note, GC, how are you?

LOL! The polite part of me wants to say, "Oh, fine. Thanks for asking!" and the not-so-polite part of me wants to say, "Why are you asking me the rhetoric question when you know what I'll say?"

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:33 pm

I like this over polite behavior better than the rude, inconsiderate behavior shown by people in India.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:45 pm

nevada wrote:I like this over polite behavior better than the rude, inconsiderate behavior shown by people in India.

You have a point.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:15 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Yesterday, while coming down the elevator all alone, I sneezed and automatically said "Excuse me!" Realized it was a force of habit.

Then I remembered a conversation I had with my late father years ago. We were at a gas station when the attendant took my money for the bill and returned the change. I said, "Thank you" when I received it. While we were in the car my dad asked me curiosly why I had thanked him when he wasn't doing any favor. I smiled and said I was just being polite and it was good etiquette. Then he commented that there were two problems with this philosophy on etiquette. One, thanking when it was not necessary meant that the next person who failed to thank would automatically be construed as being rude; and, second, such meaningless routine gesture of thanks takes away from really thanking someone for his or her good deed. Then he started his usual tirade on the superficiality of western etiquettes.

A few weeks ago, I was talking on phone with someone in India on my way to work. The person on phone listened to my thanks while I was getting coffee and another thanks to someone for something while I was getting out of elevator. The person in India was surprised listening to 3~4 thanks on phone. I think Indians in India say thanks when they really mean it in most cases. Americans OTOH say things because of habit and politeness.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:20 pm

southindian wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Yesterday, while coming down the elevator all alone, I sneezed and automatically said "Excuse me!" Realized it was a force of habit.

A few weeks ago, I was talking on phone with someone in India on my way to work. The person on phone listened to my thanks while I was getting coffee and another thanks to someone for something while I was getting out of elevator. The person in India was surprised listening to 3~4 thanks on phone. I think Indians in India say thanks when they really mean it in most cases. Americans OTOH say things because of habit and politeness.

Thanks for sharing.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:29 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
southindian wrote:

Thanks for sharing.
"sharing" requires an object, for example, "the anecdote," unless you're a mother speaking to her 3-year-old child.

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:34 pm

You are father is so so right...

That is why I dont practice any of these superficial western etiquette - to save others coming across as rude.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Many thanks for opening this thread GC.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:43 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

That is why I dont practice any of these superficial western etiquette - to save others coming across as rude.

My dad and I used to argue on this point a lot. I don't see anything wrong in saying "please" or "thank you" as a courtesy. It bothers me that Indians seldom use the word "please" when they ask for something, or "excuse me" when they interrupt during a meeting. Some manners, howsoever superficial, are better than no manners.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:45 pm

you are so funny. and "you are" language is also funny.

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:46 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Many thanks for opening this thread GC.

You are ever so welcome, CD.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Jebediah Mburuburu wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
southindian wrote:

Thanks for sharing.
"sharing" requires an object, for example, "the anecdote," unless you're a mother speaking to her 3-year-old child.

So nice to see that your tax dollars are paying for the services of the :
Force of habit 1359613086_grammar_police_xlarge
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:08 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
southindian wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

It is not necessary to say "Thanks for sharing your comment" when "Thanks for sharing" implies it.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:10 pm

goodcitizn wrote:

It is not necessary to say "Thanks for sharing your comment" when "Thanks for sharing" implies it. Now I know why I suffer from ADD when I see your posts.

Please,GC! Achachan Jebz needs to feel useful and show that the tax payer dollars spent on him are a good investment. Where else can he show that he is useful?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:32 am

you are so funny. and "you are" language is also funny.

grammarman comes to the rescue eliminating yet another error threat. 

Force of habit Grammarman
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down