Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Desi in Miss America Paegent

+15
FluteHolder
bw
Petrichor
confuzzled dude
indophile
ashdoc
truthbetold
MaxEntropy_Man
garam_kuta
Hellsangel
southindian
Merlot Daruwala
Kris
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
pravalika nanda
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Desi in Miss America Paegent Empty Desi in Miss America Paegent

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Miss New York. Nina Davuluri. Is playing on ABC right now.

What part of India is that? AP?

Back to top Go down

Desi in Miss America Paegent Empty Re: Desi in Miss America Paegent

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:39 pm

http://nypost.com/2013/09/15/miss-new-yorks-pudgy-past/

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:01 am

170 down to 135 and now 117???

That should be a real inspiration to all SuCHers.

PN - get cracking and go for MS. America contest. ou can talk about Child abuse, gropping, bigotry of MDs, anti-death sentence, compassion...

you have got it all...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:09 am

oh, so the indian girl won.

what, the first indian woman to win the miss America contest and she's not a tam b?  and she's not fair and pudgy? yeah, boys, sorry to disappoint you. she's dark like an African and of telugu origin.

check out the comments other people are making in this link.
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/miss-york-crowned-2014-miss-america-031226443.html

normally I don't know anything about these pageants but thanks to vidya for bringing it up.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:12 am

of course, she's too dark for any of you boys.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:16 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Miss New York. Nina Davuluri. Is playing on ABC right now.

>>>Just saw her on youtube. Cute girl.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:19 am

pravalika nanda wrote:oh, so the indian girl won.

what, the first indian woman to win the miss America contest and she's not a tam b?  and she's not fair and pudgy? yeah, boys, sorry to disappoint you. she's dark like an African and of telugu origin.

check out the comments other people are making in this link.
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/miss-york-crowned-2014-miss-america-031226443.html

normally I don't know anything about these pageants but thanks to vidya for bringing it up.
>>>and that's an issue?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:22 am

Kris wrote:

oh yeah, she is very cute. nice, regular, hard-working girl, no political or caste connections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHJOWvBpZ3E

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:31 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Kris wrote:

oh yeah, she is very cute. nice, regular, hard-working girl, no political or caste connections.

>>>Just saw the whole thing. Thanks for the link. Very down to earth girl. Good choice by the voters.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:03 am

soon coming to a theater near you in a Gult movie.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:46 am

Pretty chick. Congratulations Nina. Congratulations Sania. Congratulations Sonia. Congratulations Sachin.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:47 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:soon coming to a theater near you in a Gult movie.
Why Gult movies, when there's more money and "exposure" in Bollywood?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:34 am

southindian wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:soon coming to a theater near you in a Gult movie.
Why Gult movies, when there's more money and "exposure" in Bollywood?
Like PN says, she is too dark for Hindians and Naarthies. She would not have made even the final 10 had it been in Ms. India.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:58 pm

Does she have a thigh gap?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:34 pm

ah..that's low, really ... @ 3;14 -3:20 ?  hmmm...

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:33 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Kris wrote:

i thought you're the kind of person that is put off by pageants.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:57 pm

Nina's background looks quite normal. Her looks are not uncommon for an Indian American girl. I am amazed that she put together the effort to win such competetive event.
She deserves our congratulations and support.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:36 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Kris wrote:

oh come on, max, how can I not be excited when a telugu girl from new york wins? and she's so earthy and indian-looking. she's not arab-looking like hema malini or iranian-looking like kareena or mixed-race like parvathi melton. she's a real typical dusky telugu girl and by thinking outside the box and going for this competition she's achieved something special.

that she won in atlantic city, in America when even in India she would not have won because Indians are far more racist, bigoted, and just downright nasty, trashy, casteist attests to the simple fact that america is the place where one can find fairness, equality and justice. it just makes me so proud of American people. just like you know, when Obama won, it made me respect Americans.

you know what i'd like to see, i think after this they have the miss universe pageant. i'd like to see nina davuluri win the miss universe pageant beating whatever junky fair or arab-indian kaboothar trash the Indians will drool over and serve up for the competition.

as an indian woman i'm happy that people with dark skin are appreciated for their beauty, it makes it easier for me to accept my looks and not be made to feel deficient.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Kris wrote:

well they didn't interest me but i wouldn't say that i'm put off by them.

look, these women eat right, exercise and take care of themselves and go on to represent their countries in front of millions of viewers. one of them is deemed to be most beautiful and that's that. no one is objectifying them, they're proud of their looks and hard work so good for them.

what I've never understood and I've seen some guys here do this but i don't remember who, is when they talk about how stupid these girls are. They're not stupid, they're just not the brightest and it's tough to answer basic questions when there's so much pressure like when in front of more than a million people.

When you had your IIT exams did you guys shave your chests and strip to your chaddies and sashay around for the profs and try to show off your six-packs, biceps, do any orchidometry and semen analysis? no, right. actually we don't want you to. people should just stick to the topic.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:01 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Kris wrote:

oh come on, max, how can I not be excited when a telugu girl from new york wins? and she's so earthy and indian-looking. she's not arab-looking like hema malini or iranian-looking like kareena or mixed-race like parvathi melton. she's a real typical dusky telugu girl and by thinking outside the box and going for this competition she's achieved something special.

that she won in atlantic city, in America when even in India she would not have won because Indians are far more racist, bigoted, and just downright nasty, trashy, casteist attests to the simple fact that america is the place where one can find fairness, equality and justice. it just makes me so proud of American people. just like you know, when Obama won, it made me respect Americans.

you know what i'd like to see, i think after this they have the miss universe pageant. i'd like to see nina davuluri win the miss universe pageant beating whatever junky fair or arab-indian kaboothar trash the Indians will drool over and serve up for the competition.

as an indian woman i'm happy that people with dark skin are appreciated for their beauty, it makes it easier for me to accept my looks and not be made to feel deficient.
>>>PN, if I may say so, quit worrying about the standards set by others and deal with people one-on-one. You will unearth a lot of gems. ND exudes confidence  and seems very down to earth , both  very attractive qualities. I find  both these  in abundance in this culture and it is across the ethnic spectrum. ND likely cares as little about whether Bollywood will accept her as any other American jane or judy does. If her life is defined by this, that would be a major letdown.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:09 pm

Kris wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Kris wrote:>>>Just saw her on youtube. Cute girl.

>>>PN, if I may say so, quit worrying about the standards set by others and deal with people one-on-one. You will unearth a lot of gems. ND exudes confidence  and seems very down to earth , both  very attractive qualities. I find  both these  in abundance in this culture and it is across the ethnic spectrum. ND likely cares as little about whether Bollywood will accept her as any other American jane or judy does. If her life is defined by this, that would be a major letdown.
oh i know, i was just thinking about how things were when i was in elementary, middle school and high school and even the early college years. i'm much older and smarter now. in fact i'd say that for the last seven years i've felt deliciously beautiful. part of it had to do with the guys in my life but mostly i grew up and tried to make something of myself.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:28 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Kris wrote:

yeah , we indians are hardly free from racism against immigrants .

ever since the raj thackeray phenomenon happened my fellow maharashtrians are always making racist remarks against people from UP/Bihar---their own countrymen and co religionists .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:50 am

My guess is nina would not go for movie option. she will pursue her med education .

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:03 pm

I know another smart Telugu girl who won a beauty pagent in this country. It's the Miss India International contest for Indian girls from all over the world. Later she got her Ph.D from MIT, and also was on their faculty for a few years. Now she teaches at Johns Hopkins Medical School in Baltimore, MD. Her elder sister is equally pretty although she didn't win any beauty pagent. She got her Ph.D from Cornell and now teaches at the University Of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:14 pm

truthbetold wrote:My guess is nina would not go for movie option. she will pursue her med education .
Let's see.. now that she is popular, some Tollywood producer will off her 1 to 1.5 crores to act in his new movie, and she can cash-in on her newfound stardom by venturing into ad commercial arena where she probably will be paid around 1 crore per commercial. She probably can make a few millions in a couple of years, now compare this with the painstaking process of getting a medical degree in the US.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:31 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Kris wrote:

so your objection to beauty pageants (i seem to remember you saying something about them in the past, maybe i am mistaken) is not that they objectify women, that men drool over the pageants, but that they objectify the wrong kind of women? is that it? i thought your dislike of them was based on something bigger than petty jealousy.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:41 pm

Smile

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:47 pm

I think PN has a point somewhere there about heteronormative conception of beauty as it existed and now dusky Nina broke through that 'brown complexion' barrier.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Nina's family has ties with tollywood. This win could easily open doors. if money is a factor, education would lose hands down. i am guessing here, she will pick med education.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Petrichor wrote:I think PN has a point somewhere there about heteronormative conception of beauty as it existed and now dusky Nina broke through that 'brown complexion' barrier.
if it is the US you are talking about, i thought people like vanessa williams have already done that. if it is india, then PN is a bit behind the news. bipasha basu and nandita das have already accomplished that. so what new ground did nina break in regards to conceptions of beauty?

that aside, much as i like to view eye candy as the next guy, beauty pageants are contemptible.

aside: i think i need to be very drunk to be able to use words like heteronormative. it's good you are able to do so, sober.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:21 pm

a very direct question to the folks here: if you had a daughter who wanted to participate in a beauty pageant, would you encourage it? there are very few things in my kids' lives where i feel the need to insert myself in a direct way as part of a decision making process. this WILL be one. as long as they are under my watch, there is no way i'm going to support something like this.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:36 pm

In US, 'brown complexion' had not gone mainstream as the plain-vanilla 'black' beauties. There are elements of beauty, health, fitness, to some extent brains, and poise that go into the judges' calculations. While black women were traditionally able to win when the weights of healthy, fitness attributes went up, our brown sisters were up against xenophobia/other-ness, and the mass cultural consumption of 'brown' tropes from Appu to everything dirty/stinky outsourced IT nerds. And it is no way completely shattered yet either (witness the twitterati!). However, Nina cracked that invisible barrier that kept Indian-Americans from mass cultural acceptance. Of course, there is no one seminal moment but it does add to that 'moment' in a significant manner.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Yes, Ms. America is right up there with BASEBALL, HOTDOG, APPLE PIE, CHEVORLET for acceptance as 100% American.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:46 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:a very direct question to the folks here: if you had a daughter who wanted to participate in a beauty pageant, would you encourage it? there are very few things in my kids' lives where i feel the need to insert myself in a direct way as part of a decision making process. this WILL be one. as long as they are under my watch, there is no way i'm going to support something like this.
Won't they be over-18 and on their own steam in the decision-making process?
Counsel/Advise, Influence - Yes...but 'inserting into the decision-making' sounds extreme.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:48 pm

Did you see the crowd roar with approval when she did the bollywood fusion number? Totally grin-worthy for all desis...

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Petrichor wrote:Did you see the crowd roar with approval when she did the bollywood fusion number? Totally grin-worthy for all desis...
all?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Petrichor wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:a very direct question to the folks here: if you had a daughter who wanted to participate in a beauty pageant, would you encourage it? there are very few things in my kids' lives where i feel the need to insert myself in a direct way as part of a decision making process. this WILL be one. as long as they are under my watch, there is no way i'm going to support something like this.
Won't they be over-18 and on their own steam in the decision-making process?
Counsel/Advise, Influence - Yes...but 'inserting into the decision-making' sounds extreme.

what i meant is no dead american presidents are leaving my wallet.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:53 pm

beauty paegent, firefighter, police, army/navy, nurse, beautician, school teacher, modeling, acting, music, janitor... many professions are out for both the kids either coz of safety, high competetion, or money/prestige. Chances are, I will simply bicker if they do decide to pick it up. But I will be top in cheering line if they still do. Am glad there are no brown strippers (are there?) or american-indian p0rn stars yet (that sikh girl is canadian). Hope they don't start breaking this barrier too, aiyo.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:56 pm

what's wrong with being a school teacher, a nurse, a musician, or an actor?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:56 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:m glad there are no brown strippers (are there?) or american-indian p0rn stars yet (that sikh girl is canadian). Hope they don't start breaking this barrier too, aiyo.
Has Marijuana been legalized in jersey?

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:what's wrong with being a school teacher, a nurse, a musician, or an actor?
Add sports to this list too.

Nurse, just so that my parents live and die in peace.  'why can't u work harder and become a doctor instead?'

School teacher, again it's my dad. He would be like, if teaching is ur calling, then teach college kids. He himself was a college teacher, so was my mom, and so is my bhabhi.

Musician/actor, very low success ratio, others rot in oblivion and are exploited. Highly unstructured lives, no regard for general social norms. Nothing wrong with those, just don't want my kids to be lost in that world.

Last edited by Vidya Bagchi on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Petrichor wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:m glad there are no brown strippers (are there?) or american-indian p0rn stars yet (that sikh girl is canadian). Hope they don't start breaking this barrier too, aiyo.
Has Marijuana been legalized in jersey?
dunno. regardless, i won't mind if desis has zero representation in these fields.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:03 am

pravalika nanda wrote:

Here is todays news for you.... Ms. America does not participate in Ms. Universe contest. That is a different organization and contest.

Here is a list of Contestants...on Ms. USA

Let us hope a fair Tambrahmi girl wins the Ms. USA crown...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:05 am

Petrichor wrote:Did you see the crowd roar with approval when she did the bollywood fusion number? Totally grin-worthy for all desis...
cringe-worthy, you mean? Twisted Evil

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:12 am

bw wrote:
why must you brush everything off like that? she did a beautiful job dancing.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:16 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
bw wrote:
She is only brushing off her "Jingi-Chacka" dance.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:23 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

Here is todays news for you....  Ms. America does not participate in Ms. Universe contest. That is a different organization and contest.

Here is a list of Contestants...on Ms. USA

Let us hope a fair Tambrahmi girl wins the Ms. USA crown...Razz
not possible. the only indian on the list is a paromita mitra from Mississippi. and the ms universe contestant repr india is some singh.  if some tam b won, i couldn't care less, i wouldn't even pay attention. everyone's been brainwashed to pant after their kaboothar looks.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:30 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Petrichor wrote:I think PN has a point somewhere there about heteronormative conception of beauty as it existed and now dusky Nina broke through that 'brown complexion' barrier.
if it is the US you are talking about, i thought people like vanessa williams have already done that. if it is india, then PN is a bit behind the news. bipasha basu and nandita das have already accomplished that. so what new ground did nina break in regards to conceptions of beauty?
** really? then why aren't they making as much and as many movies as Katrina or Kareena or Aishwarya? why aren't they repr global companies like longines? when was the last time you saw nandita's picture on a billboard?

** also the avg black woman does not identify with Vanessa. she identifies with Jennifer Hudson, Macy Gray and Nina Simone, and Michelle Obama.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:51 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
bw wrote:
am sure she did (i haven't watched it) but the thought of bollywood dance greeted with a roar of approval makes me cringe.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:57 am

truthbetold wrote:Nina's family has ties with tollywood. This win could easily open doors. if money is a factor, education would lose hands down. i am guessing here, she will pick med education.
tollywood? what world are you guys living in? she's a regular american woman who's going to live and earn and grow old and die in america. why would anyone go to India? land of flies, tiger-mosquitoes, pigs, open sewage, poor transport, patchy electricity, pollution, rotten infrastructure; land where men and women must pee on the streets, land of eve-teasing, gang-rapes, where dating=raping, dowries, child-brides, bride-burning, bigotry, casteism, nepotism, corruption, where leadership = modi, better leadership = ha ha ha rahul gandhi, where aspiring to be fair ( no, no, no this has nothing to do with balance but everything to do with looks) is a national passion. poor children's special: organophosphate-laced school lunches, rich children's special: mcdonalds and baskin robbins, lol. country where the largest diabetic explosion and obesity are about to happen = india. oh sure thing, tollywood.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next