Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Atlanta Effect...

5 posters

Go down

Atlanta Effect... Empty Atlanta Effect...

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:09 pm

No school tomorrow in some NE towns. Also, no school tomorrow in our great midwest.

This country is now afraid of 3 and 6" snows?

But, I should not be complaining. Next 2 days in single digit, which we will send to NE by 2-day FedEx.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Atlanta Effect... Empty Re: Atlanta Effect...

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:39 pm

You made fun of us hapless Atlantians a week ago. Now see what's happening to y'all.

Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:40 pm

a foot is 12" which last i checked is about 10" more than 2".
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:43 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:a foot is 12" which last i checked is about 10" more than 2".
Makes no difference how thick the snow is. The inches don't matter when the snow turns into slippery ice from not being cleaned off the roads.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:46 pm

over here tomorrow it's not so much the amount of snow as it is the timing of it. a foot is nothing by NE standards, but if most of it is going to fall during the morning commute, then commuters are going to be competing with utility folks - plows, salters etc. on the road and that's a recipe for problems. we'll see.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:47 pm

ideal day to ditch the car and catch the train.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:55 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:over here tomorrow it's not so much the amount of snow as it is the timing of it. a foot is nothing by NE standards, but if most of it is going to fall during the morning commute, then commuters are going to be competing with utility folks - plows, salters etc. on the road and that's a recipe for problems. we'll see.

2" or foot, snow is not a problem north of I-70 as long as it is cleaned.

But south of I-70, the temperature shuttles between 20s and 40s melting and freezing, making the road slippery and icy. Salting is the only way and Even if the road is cleared, the remaining snow melts and freezes. That is what makes even a little snow/ice along I-40 treacherous. Of course this was never a problem in Utah or MASS during most winters.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:ideal day to ditch the car and catch the train.
the marta service was a total chaos too, even after two days of the disastrous snow day. Many trains were cancelled. Passengers were dropped off midway. No one knew what the schedule of the trains was and when/how/if they can get to their destination station. The information monitors were not working. There was no marta staff to talk to. Even when you luckily caught hold of one, she had no clue what was going on. It was pathetic!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:02 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:over here tomorrow it's not so much the amount of snow as it is the timing of it. a foot is nothing by NE standards, but if most of it is going to fall during the morning commute, then commuters are going to be competing with utility folks - plows, salters etc. on the road and that's a recipe for problems. we'll see.

2" or foot, snow is not a problem north of I-70 as long as it is cleaned.

But south of I-70, the temperature shuttles between 20s and 40s melting and freezing, making the road slippery and icy. Salting is the only way and Even if the road is cleared, the remaining snow melts and freezes.  That is what makes even a little snow/ice along I-40 treacherous. Of course this was never a problem in Utah or MASS during most winters.
I lived in Michigan for 11 yrs. I've never seen anything like this. This is too scary for words.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:57 am

No school tomorrow in some NE towns.  Also, no school tomorrow in our great midwest.

But, I should not be complaining.  Next 2 days in single digit, which we will send to NE by 2-day FedEx.
2" or 12", snow is not the problem anywhere. People and administrations are.

Atlanta admins and Atlantans had no clue on how to deal with 2" of snow. People did not know how to drive when snow is on the ground.

NE admins and people get regular experience on that lesson.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:24 pm

southindian wrote:

No school tomorrow in some NE towns.  Also, no school tomorrow in our great midwest.

But, I should not be complaining.  Next 2 days in single digit, which we will send to NE by 2-day FedEx.
2" or 12", snow is not the problem anywhere. People and administrations are.

Atlanta admins and Atlantans had no clue on how to deal with 2" of snow. People did not know how to drive when snow is on the ground.

Ya, you are right. The 2" of snow uncleaned snow became 2" of hard and slippery ice sheet that made driving very dangerous. Controlling your car not to skid was one challenge. The biggest fear and challenge was not to be hit by the skidding cars around. Most Atlanta drivers have no idea how to drive on such roads. When their cars start to skid, they go into a panic mode and brake hard to prevent it from skidding, making matters worse.

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:00 pm

southindian wrote:2" or 12", snow is not the problem anywhere. People and administrations are.

A fisherman knows how to survive the high or low tide? Would you? 
Also, would you want your local town or county administration to use the tax money towards investing in tools and people towards snow removal when you get accumulations once in a decade? 

This is not about efficiency but a preparedness issue for the 'unexpected' or 'less frequently expected'.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:48 pm

smArtha wrote:
A fisherman knows how to survive the high or low tide? Would you? 
Also, would you want your local town or county administration to use the tax money towards investing in tools and people towards snow removal when you get accumulations once in a decade? 

This is not about efficiency but a preparedness issue for the 'unexpected' or 'less frequently expected'.

I already gave my brilliant Gyan 3 days ago on what Kasim Bhai should have done when snow was predicted 3,4 days before.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:04 pm

How are you doing, digging out of 11 inches, Did the snow plows arrive yet to your neighborhood?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:51 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

How are you doing, digging out of 11 inches, Did the snow plows arrive yet to your neighborhood?

I cleared couple of tracks on the driveway for my car when there was only 6" snow and it was still soft. Then drove my car up and down the driveway, then went around the neighborhood road.

Mine is a small car and I take the shovel in the trunk when I drive in heavy snow..snow does not do didly to me. I have driven on sleet/ice once all the way from Hazleton, PA to Youngstown, OH took me 10 hours and another time from Houston to Waco and it took me some 6 hours.

Snow plows dont come to my niegborhood...only the main roads are cleaned. I took my car for a spin on the icy/snowy parking lot to "retrain" my brain and reflexes in snow driving.

Learn from the master....Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down