Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fellow tinnitus sufferers

+9
confuzzled dude
michelle2
smArtha
b_A
southindian
Maria S
bw
FluteHolder
MaxEntropy_Man
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fellow tinnitus sufferers - Page 2 Empty Re: Fellow tinnitus sufferers

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:13 am

Don't knock taking breaks. Remember how in old times doctors used to prescribe change of air, which meant shipping off to a hill station for 2-3 months. I wanna be able to do one of those. Maybe go to Manali and hike everyday. Join a yoga ashram and eat only satvik food or something. Next time in Europe, next time in Caribbean and so on.

Anyway, my grandpa was one of those docs who used to prescribe those to over-exhausted and maybe bored rich aunties. Some of them went one step further, they would take him with them (!), funding his trip, for 15-20 days if not the whole duration, to Shimla and such places. I have seen a few pics of him vacationing English style with those fams. Mauja hi mauja.

Last edited by Beatrix Kiddo on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:15 am

madrasi_idiot wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Glad to know you quit alcohol.

i was in a rehab for 15 days in hyderabad last april. the owner was a friend of my cousin; so he did not stop my benzo (the main reason why i was avoiding rehab). i had no withdrawals save disturbed sleep for a month, after which everything evened out. so, every person reacts differently! currently i am helping a school friend undergo a kidney transplant in kolkata.  Razz i am THE EXPERT now. Razz  he resides in delhi. i also donated 3 lacs to a local foundation for the visually impaired here last week. it's important to announce the good one is doing (while continuing to do bad).  Razz
Good going, madsi! Smile
texas much. Smile hey, you know, next year september i too will have an empty nest. younger will be starting college! so i would have caught up with you. is older staying at home or has moved on? on another note, i found that the univ. of toronto accepts indian students based on their isc/cbse scores! and it's a top notch college! but i am not sending him abroad for undergrad. indian undergrad is as good i feel. he wants to study mechanical.
It's great to be an empty nester as long as your kids are at a driving distance (or probably a few hrs of flight distance) from you. No, both the boys have moved out. Ya, if your younger gets into a good undergrad school in India, there's no need to send him abroad, imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:17 am

Kinnera wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Glad to know you quit alcohol.

i was in a rehab for 15 days in hyderabad last april. the owner was a friend of my cousin; so he did not stop my benzo (the main reason why i was avoiding rehab). i had no withdrawals save disturbed sleep for a month, after which everything evened out. so, every person reacts differently! currently i am helping a school friend undergo a kidney transplant in kolkata.  Razz i am THE EXPERT now. Razz  he resides in delhi. i also donated 3 lacs to a local foundation for the visually impaired here last week. it's important to announce the good one is doing (while continuing to do bad).  Razz
Good going, madsi! Smile
texas much. Smile hey, you know, next year september i too will have an empty nest. younger will be starting college! so i would have caught up with you. is older staying at home or has moved on? on another note, i found that the univ. of toronto accepts indian students based on their isc/cbse scores! and it's a top notch college! but i am not sending him abroad for undergrad. indian undergrad is as good i feel. he wants to study mechanical.
It's great to be an empty nester as long as your kids are at a driving distance (or probably a few hrs of flight distance) from you. No, both the boys have moved out. Ya, if your younger gets into a good undergrad school in India, there's no need to send him abroad, imo.

I'll be half nester in 2 years. Dread thinking of the overwhelming silence that will come, with just son and me. For some reason I never account for XH, and he sulks everytime I do that. But anyway, kids think it will be an empty nest with their two divorcee parents still living together. No idea how that will work out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:33 am

garam_kuta wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:xanax has known side effects. However, melatonin has side effects too, no? I would say try those herbal therapies, but be aware that many of those ayurvedic things have questionable metal contents/amounts in them.

I have been investigating my issue since yesterday, as in bothering others if they can hear the same sounds as me. I can't do that at work, so I go to some other location and observe again. So far, this is what I have learned.

I think I do get off periods.
I have a lot of sinus issues coz of my allergies. maybe the two are related.
It seems to be more in my right ear, but it's in the left ear too. However, my right ear is also hurting lately, so it might be some other issue going on in there.
It's not the sound of crickets (i was mixing it up with real sound of crickets outside), but it's a lower buzzing sound, like we used to hear when tubelights back home would go bad. Had to harass XH and kids a lot last night to differentiate the sounds. They were mighty confused what I am trying to do as lately I have also been complaining of rats/squirrel sounds in my attic.
So far, the sound is mild.
It comes randomly, atleast that's how it seems so far, like when I am driving, or sometimes at work or home. But doesn't last very long, or maybe I get distracted.

Older sibs had it the same way when they were my age. It has progressed for them. If genes are to be trusted, I am hoping it will stay milder for me. Let's see. But a part of me tells me that maybe I should not think about it too much until it's in my face.

just like the floaters/cobwebs in the eyes - shouldn't focus too much on it.  ah no pun intended!

Since Max mentioned this tinnitus thingie, I have been hearing this whizzing noise all the time whenever I think about it. In any case, as you said..like floaters and cobwebs, just learn to ignore. Anything that doesn't kill who cares.

BTW, stay away from Xanax and benzos in general. These were old drugs and and make you think slow enough does not make you too excited for anything and hence stops your anxiety (about tinnitus). Not that it will cure tinnitus.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:24 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
These were old drugs and and make you think slow enough does not make you too excited for anything and hence stops your anxiety (about tinnitus). Not that it will cure tinnitus.  

dear motor mouth, what is "does not make you too excited for anything and hence stops your anxiety (about tinnitus)?" can you translate it into english and it's relevance to the context of this thread? i spiki no madrasi. please oblige.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:32 am

madrasi_idiot wrote:
These were old drugs and and make you think slow enough does not make you too excited for anything and hence stops your anxiety (about tinnitus). Not that it will cure tinnitus.  

dear motor mouth, what is "does not make you too excited for anything and hence stops your anxiety (about tinnitus)?" can you translate it into english and it's relevance to the context of this thread? i spiki no madrasi. please oblige.

I think he meant it may not cure tinnitus but chill you enough not to be bothered by it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:42 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:

I think he meant it may not cure tinnitus but chill you enough not to be bothered by it.

no, we all know tinnitus has no cure. neither does diabetes (actually it now has -- bariatric surgery that arun jaitley underwent a few days ago), nor hypertension etcetera. he is trying to say something else too. i want to know. if you just want to chip in for the heck of it then talk on some subject; don't play motor mouth's advocate. this is not the first time i am having an argument with him about benzos about which he professes to know so much (scratch that; know ALL) without being, a) a doctor (and they know little to be honest), b) a person who has used benzos. i meet at least one of the criterion -- he meets none. i am excited right now despite being on a benzo -- THAT worries me and i want to ask him why am i excited?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:46 am

madrasi_idiot wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:

no, we all know tinnitus has no cure. neither does diabetes (actually it now has -- bariatric surgery that arun jaitley underwent a few days ago), nor hypertension etcetera. he is trying to say something else too. i want to know. if you just want to chip in for the heck of it then talk on some subject; don't play motor mouth's advocate. this is not the first time i am having an argument with him about benzos about which he professes to know so much (scratch that; know ALL) without being, a) a doctor (and they know little to be honest), b) a person who has used benzos. i meet at least one of the criterion -- he meets none. i am excited right now despite being on a benzo -- THAT worries me and i want to ask him why am i excited?

lol. not being his advocate, just giving my own interpretation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:55 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:

lol. not being his advocate, just giving my own interpretation.
your interpretation is wrong. let's wait for the madrasi.

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:27 pm

madrasi_idiot wrote:

"its relevance" (with no apostrophe), not "it's relevance."

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:56 pm

madrasi_idiot wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:

I notice you always get upset when I post against Benzos... That in itself is a symptom.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:59 pm

madrasi_idiot wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:xanax has known side effects. However, melatonin has side effects too, no? I would say try those herbal therapies, but be aware that many of those ayurvedic things have questionable metal contents/amounts in them. 
xanax, in low does, doses not have side effects any more than your normal BP/anti-diabetes/anti-cholesterol medicine does. same for melatonin i would suspect but may be not for it is a natural extract -- short answer is i don't know. the only trouble with xanax is that it has a dependency syndrome and a withdrawal syndrome. if you start it you can't stop. if you become tolerant then god help you. a small minority develop tolerance and i am not convinced all suffer a withdrawal syndrome (beyond the minor withdrawals).

edit. you raised a good point. i almost started ayurvedic medicine upon the insistence of a relative till i discovered it has metal in it -- toxic levels. avoid ayurvedic medicine!
"maybe" not "may be"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:00 pm

madrasi_idiot wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:

I notice you always get upset when I post against Benzos... That in itself is a symptom.
symptom of what? cat, dog, sheep? like you, i too have always posted against benzos (save in this thread with diluted warnings).

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:43 pm

madrasi_idiot wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:
xanax, in low does, doses not have side effects any more than your normal BP/anti-diabetes/anti-cholesterol medicine does. same for melatonin i would suspect but may be not for it is a natural extract -- short answer is i don't know. the only trouble with xanax is that it has a dependency syndrome and a withdrawal syndrome. if you start it you can't stop. if you become tolerant then god help you. a small minority develop tolerance and i am not convinced all suffer a withdrawal syndrome (beyond the minor withdrawals).

edit. you raised a good point. i almost started ayurvedic medicine upon the insistence of a relative till i discovered it has metal in it -- toxic levels. avoid ayurvedic medicine!
"maybe" not "may be"

In that context, you are correct since maybe means the same as possibly or perhaps. But using "may be" would be correct in a different context. Such as "If two people agree on everything, may be one of them is unnessary".

Since the inhouse blue-penciler seems to have taken his high horse on its morning gallop, I took the liberty to fill in.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:09 am

goodcitizn wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:
madrasi_idiot wrote:

"maybe" not "may be"

In that context, you are correct since maybe means the same as possibly or perhaps. But using "may be" would be correct in a different context. Such as "If two people agree on everything, may be one of them is unnessary".

Since the inhouse blue-penciler seems to have taken his high horse on its morning gallop, I took the liberty to fill in.
i do know the difference between "maybe" and "may be." but thanks for pointing it out. the reading public should also know for it is a mistake made often.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:21 am

add to above: in case you did not get it, i pointed out my mistake to show the blue-penciler that he was slacking in his duties. :p

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:31 am

Last night I was hellbent on sleeping on my left side, always a tough choice coz most nights it's my right ear that buzzes a lot more. My usual solution is to sleep on my right side to muffle that noise in the right ear. But like I said, last night i didn't want to do so and the sound last night was too much to ignore.

Anyway. Downloaded iSuppress on my phone and it surprisingly works! I first did it for one minute while I tried to figure out its timer settings. There wasn't much in the free version. So I played it again for 90 seconds and before you know it I was sleeping without trouble.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:29 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Last night I was hellbent on sleeping on my left side, always a tough choice coz most nights it's my right ear that buzzes a lot more. My usual solution is to sleep on my right side to muffle that noise in the right ear. But like I said, last night i didn't want to do so and the sound last night was too much to ignore.

Anyway. Downloaded iSuppress on my phone and it surprisingly works! I first did it for one minute while I tried to figure out its timer settings. There wasn't much in the free version. So I played it again for 90 seconds and before you know it I was sleeping without trouble.

I have no trouble sleeping. In fact, I sleep faster than what it takes for anesthesia to work (1, 2...zzz).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2