Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ebola officially arrives in Dallas

+6
MaxEntropy_Man
michelle2
Hellsangel
confuzzled dude
Seva Lamberdar
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
10 posters

Go down

Ebola officially arrives in Dallas Empty Ebola officially arrives in Dallas

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:43 pm

...The guy mingled with people for 4 days before seeing a doctor who turned him back for 2 days before he was admitted to hospital. The Ambulance was used for 2 days after carrying the patient...

Imagine this happening in India - it will be ONE big nightmare (have you seen the crowd in T Nagar between Navratri and Deepavali?)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Ebola officially arrives in Dallas Empty Re: Ebola officially arrives in Dallas

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:25 pm

This is getting murkier.

1. patient says - no one asked him about his travel history and he did not tell.

2. School-age children came in contact with the Ebola patients.

Oh...goodie... US is after all just as vulnerable. It is hard to believe that no Indian from "the region" was diagnosed with Ebola. With many more Indians working in the region, even harder to believe.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:11 pm

On the bright side, it's not such a bad thing. 
Sooner or later, the disease was going to make its way out of Africa. 
Because it has first landed in the U.S. (a rich country and highly advanced medically), instead of some other poor and medically backward Third World country, the Americans doctors and hospitals will now be able to set guidelines on how to deal with such situations to ensure safety and avoid further spread of the disease. 
The other countries in future will just have to copy the example / guidelines set by the Americans on how to deal with it.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:19 pm

Up to 100 people may have had direct or indirect contact with the first person diagnosed with the deadly Ebola virus in the United States, and four people have been quarantined in a Dallas apartment, health officials said on Thursday.

This from a SINGLE guy in a developed/advanced, not a dense city in US, and one who happens to be a good samaritan who voluntarily went to ER twice only to be brushed aside and sent home. I am sure, he was very careful in limiting contact suspecting his own condition.

Imagine this happening to an Indian (like the doctor couple stuck in Australian airport customs). The Indian will rub and shake with everyone in the family, eat/share food, and go to temples and shopping complexes jostling with the milling festival crowd.

If it were an Indian in India, the entire city would have been contaminated.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:31 pm

....The hospital said Thursday night that a "flaw" in its electronic health records prevented doctors from seeing Duncan's travel history even though he shared it on his first visit to the hospital.

So a software glitch opens up America to Ebola...Wonder which desi code coolie is responsible for this "error"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:43 pm

One of the nurses in that Dallas hospital that treated Duncan has tested positive, now they will have to identify all of those who may have had contact with her.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:22 pm

What a screw up, what does isolation mean? Letting 70 nurses care for Ebola stricken patient and let them loose before 21 days restriction period, these nurses most likely had cared for other patients in that hospital

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:28 pm

What are the chances that those passengers who came in contact with her were on connecting flights to other parts of the country?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:13 am

from what i've read and heard, it seems as if the cdc's greater goal is to prevent panic than to prevent ebola.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:37 am

I can't believe how inept they've been.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:30 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Up to 100 people may have had direct or indirect contact with the first person diagnosed with the deadly Ebola virus in the United States, and four people have been quarantined in a Dallas apartment, health officials said on Thursday.

This from a SINGLE guy in a developed/advanced, not a dense city in US, and one who happens to be a good samaritan who voluntarily went to ER twice only to be brushed aside and sent home. I am sure, he was very careful in limiting contact suspecting his own condition.

Imagine this happening to an Indian (like the doctor couple stuck in Australian airport customs). The Indian will rub and shake with everyone in the family, eat/share food, and go to temples and shopping complexes jostling with the milling festival crowd.

Ebola in India will be disaster, unless magically some desi genetic makeup fights Ebola naturally.

India DOES NOT have infrastructure, rules, social norms to fight ANY disease like Ebola.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:31 am

southindian wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Ebola in India will be disaster, unless magically some desi genetic makeup fights Ebola naturally.

India DOES NOT have infrastructure, rules, social norms to fight ANY disease like Ebola.

"all right," good night. btw, it's "alright."

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:38 am

Here you go, Ammachi:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alright wrote:Although the spelling alright is nearly as old as all right, some critics have insisted alright is all wrong. Nevertheless it has its defenders and its users, who perhaps have been influenced by analogy with altogether and already. It is less frequent than all right but remains common especially in informal writing. It is quite common in fictional dialogue and is sometimes found in more formal writing <the first two years of medical school were alright — Gertrude Stein>.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:00 am

Hellsangel wrote:Here you go, Ammachi:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alright wrote:Although the spelling alright is nearly as old as all right, some critics have insisted alright is all wrong. Nevertheless it has its defenders and its users, who perhaps have been influenced by analogy with altogether and already. It is less frequent than all right but remains common especially in informal writing. It is quite common in fictional dialogue and is sometimes found in more formal writing <the first two years of medical school were alright — Gertrude Stein>.
This Old man, FlimFlam has long past his 'Best before date' and is ready to become history.

He would have died of heart attack a long time ago, had he been teaching English to elementary school kids today.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/all-right-versus-alright?page=1
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:46 am

southindian wrote:

This Old man, FlimFlam has long past his 'Best before date' and is ready to become history.

He would have died of heart attack a long time ago, had he been teaching English to elementary school kids today.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/all-right-versus-alright?page=1

all right, the comment I posted was wrong; I withdraw it.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:52 am

thanks, angel. see my response to southindian.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:01 pm

swapna wrote:
southindian wrote:

all right, the comment I posted was wrong; I withdraw it.

But, I still see it.....Razz

P.S. If you had hired me as a lawyer I would have proved why you were right after all.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:29 pm

if you believe in god, pray it doesn't go to india. it's very scary. and there is no vaccine in sight. and even if there was one, it would take too long to produce enough to satisfy the world's need. it's terrifying.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:36 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:if you believe in god, pray it doesn't go to india. it's very scary. and there is no vaccine in sight. and even if there was one, it would take too long to produce enough to satisfy the world's need. it's terrifying.

Remember my thread 2,3 months back when I posed the same "What if..." question ?

I just heard that someone I know was planning to get married in Mauritius. The Indian Groom's father - who works in Nigeria - was denied a Visa by Mauritius unless he had spent 2 months in a non-affected country before entering Mauritius.

People are in deed scared... and With the festival crowd walking on each other - and given the Indian propensity to lie through their teeth - any Ebola will be a mega disaster.

It is only a matter of when and not IF.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:45 pm

my folks are visiting. i am scared to send them back. i am thinking of applying for a visa extension until this thing tides over. they hate winters here though.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:46 pm

I am sure there are lots of African students in India. Not sure Indian govt has taken measures to check/monitor to/from flights in Africa/Nigeria or the affected states/countries in that region. I remember the movie 'outbreak' where the virus spreads by lying in shipment manifesto of a 'shipment (monkey)' by an exotic animal dealer...

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:03 pm

It is one thing to be aware and to be careful. But do not live in imagined fear and do not spread exaggerated rumors.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down