Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why this economist thinks public education is mostly pointless

+2
Idéfix
confuzzled dude
6 posters

Go down

Why this economist thinks public education is mostly pointless Empty Why this economist thinks public education is mostly pointless

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:37 pm

But here’s my basic argument: Education is a waste of time and money because so much of the payoff for education isn’t really coming from learning useful job skills. Nor is it coming from students savoring the educational experience. Rather, most of what’s going on is that people are showing off — or, as economists call it, they are “signaling.” They are trying to impress future employers by showing how dedicated they are.
Here’s where I think we disagree: You think we have too much education, and I think we’re doing education wrong. In other words, you want less education, and I want better education.
https://www.vox.com/conversations/2018/2/16/16870408/public-education-libertarianism-democracy-bryan-caplan

Will have to agree with too much education, for many of us, most of what was taught in college is irrelevant to their job function.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Why this economist thinks public education is mostly pointless Empty Re: Why this economist thinks public education is mostly pointless

Post by Idéfix Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:00 pm

This has been the case in every generation -- most people who study a field in college do not apply it in their average workday. But the education benefits you in other ways; it opens doors at critical times in your career and it prepares you to think about problems in certain ways. I would say education can be done better, but I don't think we will ever solve this problem; with the pace of technological change, we may only be increasing the gaps between (a) what students learn in college and what the leading practitioners of the same field do at work, and (b) what students learn in college and what they end up doing later on in their careers. But the answer is not less education.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Why this economist thinks public education is mostly pointless Empty Re: Why this economist thinks public education is mostly pointless

Post by Kris Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:45 am

Idéfix wrote:This has been the case in every generation -- most people who study a field in college do not apply it in their average workday. But the education benefits you in other ways; it opens doors at critical times in your career and it prepares you to think about problems in certain ways. I would say education can be done better, but I don't think we will ever solve this problem; with the pace of technological change, we may only be increasing the gaps between (a) what students learn in college and what the leading practitioners of the same field do at work, and (b) what students learn in college and what they end up doing later on in their careers. But the answer is not less education.
>>> The problem comes in when skills are conflated with education, the latter being a much broader concept. A truly well rounded education should include skills as well as equip the student to connect ideas, think critically as well as be able to enrich their personal lives. The American system with the general education component should ideally be suitable for this, but I am not sure if it accomplishes that, judging by some of the people I have hired.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:18 am

Idéfix wrote:This has been the case in every generation -- most people who study a field in college do not apply it in their average workday. But the education benefits you in other ways; it opens doors at critical times in your career and it prepares you to think about problems in certain ways. I would say education can be done better, but I don't think we will ever solve this problem; with the pace of technological change, we may only be increasing the gaps between (a) what students learn in college and what the leading practitioners of the same field do at work, and (b) what students learn in college and what they end up doing later on in their careers. But the answer is not less education.
Don't you think that 4 years and 130 credits is a bit too much, especially, considering the constant education/training that one needs to go through to keep up with the demands/requirements at work or to make progress in ones career. I would rather have the colleges reduced but focused course load than forcing them take the courses that most likely are irrelevant.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:49 am

Public education in schools and colleges is not meant as a job apprenticeship.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:19 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Public education in schools and colleges is not meant as a job apprenticeship.
Then what is it for, sir? Can one get into Aeronautics without aeronautical/aerospace degree, especially in countries like India.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:20 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Public education in schools and colleges is not meant as a job apprenticeship.
Comrade wants the German model of apprenticeships.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:25 am

Hellsangel wrote:
If he dug deep, he would find that in Germany the job apprenticeships / trades in schools etc. are usually on the top and in addition to the basic education and not in the place or replacing it.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:32 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
If he dug deep, he would find that in Germany the job apprenticeships / trades in schools etc. are usually on the top and in addition to the basic education and not in the place or replacing it.
Did you read the article, it aint talking about basic education.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:41 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Isn't he saying that it's not necessary to learn everything taught currently as education because only a small fraction of it will be used later in the job?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:13 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Isn't he saying that it's not necessary to learn everything taught currently as education because only a small fraction of it will be used later in the job?
Btw the idea behind college co-op programs introduced in north American universities and colleges in the past few decades had a lot to do in terms of being inspired by the similar education-cum-training programs already taking place previously in Germany etc.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:25 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Don't you think that 4 years and 130 credits is a bit too much, especially, considering the constant education/training that one needs to go through to keep up with the demands/requirements at work or to make progress in ones career. I would rather have the colleges reduced but focused course load than forcing them take the courses that most likely are irrelevant.
As the pace of technological change accelerates, it will be impossible to have college arm students with all the technical skills they will need in their careers. The role of college is to provide you with ways of learning, thinking and problem-solving that you can apply to various situations you may find yourself in. It is like training to be a track athlete in college but never running a competitive race after graduation; the discipline, training and competitiveness you learn help you maintain a healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:29 pm

Kris wrote:
>>> The problem comes in when skills are conflated with education, the latter being a much broader concept. A truly well rounded education should include skills as well as equip the student to connect ideas, think critically as well as be able to enrich their personal lives. The American system with the general education component should ideally be suitable for this, but I am not sure if it accomplishes that, judging by some of the people I have hired.
Overall, the American system does well. I am curious what aspects you found lacking in these hires... I find hiring to be a bit of a crap-shoot. People who do well in interviews don't always do well on the job, and vice versa.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Kris wrote:
Overall, the American system does well. I am curious what aspects you found lacking in these hires... I find hiring to be a bit of a crap-shoot. People who do well in interviews don't always do well on the job, and vice versa.
>>>If I were to summarize it, it comes down to two areas: knowledge gaps resulting in an inability to connect ideas and inability to write well, although the latter may be more of a pet peeve. Apparently, the emphasis on writing simply has trumped the importance of writing precisely. I must qualify this by saying that this is a trend I have seen more in new college grads (business majors) than in hires for mid level positions who tend to be older.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:05 pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-19/boom-turns-to-bust-for-millennials-across-advanced-economies
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:33 pm

Hellsangel wrote:https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-19/boom-turns-to-bust-for-millennials-across-advanced-economies

I think that technology has given everyone with an Internet connection a voice, but the financial windfalls from technology has benefited a narrower segment of society. To some extent it's because of the failure of governments and institutions to anticipate change and prepare their citizenry for change. In the U.S. I largely blame the boomer generation who were totally in charge all these years for being asleep at the wheel and fighting useless culture wars instead of focusing on education and training. It's a good thing they'll be out of the picture soon. The most useless generation.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down