Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The missile woman

+7
MulaiAzhagi
Another Brick
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Petrichor
MaxEntropy_Man
Hellsangel
charvaka
11 posters

Go down

The missile woman Empty The missile woman

Post by charvaka Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:41 pm

The Agni V project was led by Tessy Thomas, a woman scientist.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/Hyderabad/Missile-woman-Tessy-helps-India-pass-Agnipariksha/Article1-843230.aspx
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

The missile woman Empty Re: The missile woman

Post by Hellsangel Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:50 pm

Any relation to our Thomas? And why did she give her son an ingratiating name?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:49 pm

charvaka wrote:The Agni V project was led by Tessy Thomas, a woman scientist.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/Hyderabad/Missile-woman-Tessy-helps-India-pass-Agnipariksha/Article1-843230.aspx

very interesting to read about. thanks for posting.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:01 pm

i am surprised the defense ministry is allowing her to say so much about her own work in public. i've never heard an american defense scientist give out that kind of detail in any public interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVDDzOqXFw4
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiR7a91eODg&feature=related
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:08 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i am surprised the defense ministry is allowing her to say so much about her own work in public. i've never heard an american defense scientist give out that kind of detail in any public interview.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVDDzOqXFw4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVDDzOqXFw4[/quote[/url]]

1. In terms of technical detail, she is offering no more than what Jane's would probably do. Or an intro level aerospace engineering course.

2. In US, the packaging of even mundane engineering achievements into some esoteric "top secret" dossiers may explain the reticence. Also defense scientists' reward systems are probably different - Tessy slogged her way through, apprenticing with Kalam while making middle-class wages and in the face of probably multiple temptations while meeting technical attaches from US and other western countries (wonder if there is a tacit non-poaching etiquette). Comparitively speaking an American defense scientist makes better money and earns more recognition and respect from the US govt. Tessy's only reward is the PR package that has been handed to her with the latest test.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:10 am

Two things:

1. She is NOT from IIT - if she had gone to IIT, she would be a VP of investment banking at Godman Sachs

2. She, a malayalee Christian (likely to be a Kerala ThOmas Christian) married a Naardh Indian - ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:53 am

Hellsangel wrote:Any relation to our Thomas? And why did she give her son an ingratiating name?

a thousand pities. she should have named him one of the following to follow the great syrian christian tradition of keeping it short - titu, tinu, tintu, jojo, joju, jinku, jumu, julu, joni, jintu, jini, jinu or jophy.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:50 am

apprenticing with Kalam while making middle-class wages and in the face of probably multiple temptations while meeting technical attaches from US and other western countries (wonder if there is a tacit non-poaching etiquette).

===> To work in a similar project in US, one needs to have an American citizenship.

It is hard to believe that the western countries are looking to snatch scientists working at ISRO or DRDO.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:37 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:===> To work in a similar project in US, one needs to have an American citizenship.

It is hard to believe that the western countries are looking to snatch scientists working at ISRO or DRDO.

So many German Jews were welcomed to US post WWII and granted citizenship - I dont believe that would be an issue.

And in the rarified circles of missile engineers around the world, technically competent 'scientist managers' like Tessy probably command good market value in the same way that medical graduates from India are absorbed into the US medical establishment.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:54 am

LOL @another brick I liked jophy best Smile

Tejas is a great name and this Tesse Thomas ( TT ) a great lady

more power to her
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:31 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

She, a malayalee Christian (likely to be a Kerala ThOmas Christian) married a Naardh Indian - ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

i note that india's most admired woman today is known to everyone as Tessy ThOmas, not Tessy KuMar, even though she's married to a Saroj KuMar. ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:02 am

atcg wrote:
MulaiAzhagi wrote:===> To work in a similar project in US, one needs to have an American citizenship.

So many German Jews were welcomed to US post WWII and granted citizenship - I dont believe that would be an issue.

And in the rarified circles of missile engineers around the world, technically competent 'scientist managers' like Tessy probably command good market value in the same way that medical graduates from India are absorbed into the US medical establishment.

US has enough talent to fill any research position with home grown and normal immigrant process applicants. It does not need to lure regular talent from other countries. US is full of project managers who can tell others how to do their job. However US could use rare scientist and engineering talent that can do extraordinary things and think out of the box. I do not know if US pursues that type of talent abroad in any illegal manner. I do know some Indians who worked for DRDO and other major development establishments choose to come to USA mid career. They are now gainfully employed in commercial IT enterprises making serious money. One of them happens to be a very nice Kerala christian.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:05 am

atcg wrote:

US has enough talent to fill any research position with home grown and normal immigrant process applicants. It does not need to lure regular talent from other countries. US is full of project managers who can tell others how to do their job. However US could use rare scientist and engineering talent that can do extraordinary things and think out of the box. I do not know if US pursues that type of talent abroad in any illegal manner. I do know some Indians who worked for DRDO and other major development establishments choose to come to USA mid career. They are now gainfully employed in commercial IT enterprises making serious money. One of them happens to be a very nice Kerala christian.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:36 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:apprenticing with Kalam while making middle-class wages and in the face of probably multiple temptations while meeting technical attaches from US and other western countries (wonder if there is a tacit non-poaching etiquette).

===> To work in a similar project in US, one needs to have an American citizenship.

>>>> Are you saying this is an insurmountable obstacle?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:11 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:

She, a malayalee Christian (likely to be a Kerala ThOmas Christian) married a Naardh Indian - ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

i note that india's most admired woman today is known to everyone as Tessy ThOmas, not Tessy KuMar, even though she's married to a Saroj KuMar. ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Whatever, she is called Tessy ThOmas all over the media. I see that her hubby is Saroj P A T E L.....Ouchhhhhhhhhhhhieeeeee

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:09 pm

Whatever, she is called Tessy ThOmas all over the media. I see that her hubby is Saroj P A T E L.....Ouchhhhhhhhhhhhieeeeee
exactly. india's most admired woman is known to everyone as Tessy ThOmas, not Tessy Patel, even though she's married to a Saroj P A T E L... ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhieeeeee.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:18 pm

exactly. india's most admired woman is known to everyone as Tessy ThOmas, not Tessy Patel, even though she's married to a Saroj P A T E L... ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhieeeeee.

woman known as tessy ThOmas is married to a P A T E L. ouchhhhhhhhhh! she could have been wed to a kUmAr. ouchhhhhhhh X 2! sarOj is an androgynous name. ouchhhhhhhhhhh X 3!

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote: ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhieeeeee.
So cute, na!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down