Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chen, China and America

3 posters

Go down

Chen, China and America Empty Chen, China and America

Post by Idéfix Thu May 03, 2012 10:25 pm

The Economist sums up the Chen Guangcheng situation rather nicely. http://www.economist.com/node/21554247

If Mr Chen is now punished and Barack Obama is humiliated, that will signal a troubling shift in the terms of the superpowers’ relations. A wounded, suspicious America and a rampant China, bent on winning the respect it thinks its due, set the stage for dysfunction at best and conflict at worst. It would be a terrible outcome for both superpowers and for the world. They should strive to patch things up.

The other question—and one that will preoccupy China in a year when power shifts to the next generation of leaders—is how the country is run. The blind lawyer in dark glasses is just one of millions of ordinary people smarting under arbitrary rule.

I am not as hopeful as the Economist is that things will be patched up. By all indications, the Communist Party will use this as an opportunity to send a strong message to any dissidents that dissent will not be tolerated as long as their regime lasts. Showing any weakness and allowing Chen to leave the country with his family will only embolden their opponents and weaken their hold on power, so I don't see why they will act wisely in this case.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Chen, China and America Empty Re: Chen, China and America

Post by Maria S Fri May 04, 2012 10:57 am

It's an odd story.. something does not seem to add up.

Looks like he? (not sure, if it's all just him ) got what he wanted.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/chen-guangchen-study-abroad_n_1477372.html

He seemed to get access to anyone and everyone- including the US Congress so easily- talking to them directly. Now an American Univ is offering him a fellowship, apparently the US taxpayers will pay for everything else.

For some reason I see a lot Chinese officials "lol"ing, high-fiving making fun of Americans and saying some "good riddance"..behind the scenes.

*Panini Press..really! I can't see you as an appliance company - images of toasters, sandwich makers floating in my head Smile . Sorry, you will always be Carvaka..got to put with this benign behna (you know you'all do some naughty name calling!) calling you that.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 04, 2012 11:04 am

Maria S wrote:It's an odd story.. something does not seem to add up.

Looks like he? (not sure, if it's all just him ) got what he wanted.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/chen-guangchen-study-abroad_n_1477372.html

He seemed to get access to anyone and everyone- including the US Congress so easily- talking to them directly. Now an American Univ is offering him a fellowship, apparently the US taxpayers will pay for everything else.

For some reason I see a lot Chinese officials "lol"ing, high-fiving making fun of Americans and saying some "good riddance"..behind the scenes.
Yes, this entire story is very odd. I am glad they have agreed to let him go though. Once he is in the US, he can apply for a greencard and get it quickly.

Maria S wrote:*Panini Press..really! I can't see you as an appliance company - images of toasters, sandwich makers floating in my head Smile . Sorry, you will always be Carvaka..got to put with this benign behna (you know you'all do some naughty name calling!) calling you that.
Hahaha, I will still respond to my old name Smile.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri May 04, 2012 11:11 am

Smile

*I wonder what Mitt Romney will say now..wasn't he jumping up and down (in a stiff way of course!) seizing on the opportunity to prematurely criticize the Obama Admn.

I knew once Hillary was involved..she'll do her best and somehow make all her men look good, as she always does!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri May 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Somebody is very gleeful about Mitt Romney! Tut tut!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri May 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Hello Angel!

Long time.

Not really gleeful..in this matter, I thought his comments were premature, hollow-not thoughtful about an obviously complex diplomatic situation.

For me..Romney does not trigger any strong feelings- like or dislike.

*I am quite realistic..he is going to be a tough competitor..the Presidential election is going to be close- and who wins will depend on the turnout.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down