Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Petition from a Kannadiga to declare all scheduled languages as official.

+4
MaxEntropy_Man
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Kayalvizhi
Ponniyin Selvan
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Petition from a Kannadiga to declare all scheduled languages as official. Empty Petition from a Kannadiga to declare all scheduled languages as official.

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:32 am

http://www.change.org/en-IN/petitions/government-of-india-through-honourable-governor-of-karnataka-declare-all-scheduled-languages-of-india-as-official-languages

In facebook, I see Kannadigas more passionate in opposing Hindi imposition in their state. Good to see so.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Petition from a Kannadiga to declare all scheduled languages as official. Empty Re: Petition from a Kannadiga to declare all scheduled languages as official.

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:43 am

Sign the petition to show opposition to Hindi.

Making 2 dozens languages official is a huge task. It is not going to happen.

Hindi imposition will continue in India and Indian army occupied territories. It cannot be stopped.

"As long as Tamil Nadu is part of India, Hindi will be imposed on the Tamil people irrespective of who is in power in New Delhi or who is in power in Tamil Nadu." Chisel these words on a rock and set that rock in front of the Tamil Nadu State Assembly. ---- Dr. Thanjai Nalankilli in

http://www.tamiltribune.com/99/1202.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Petition from a Kannadiga to declare all scheduled languages as official. Empty Re: Petition from a Kannadiga to declare all scheduled languages as official.

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Sign the petition to show opposition to Hindi.

Making 2 dozens languages official is a huge task. It is not going to happen.

Hindi imposition will continue in India and Indian army occupied territories. It cannot be stopped.

"As long as Tamil Nadu is part of India, Hindi will be imposed on the Tamil people irrespective of who is in power in New Delhi or who is in power in Tamil Nadu." Chisel these words on a rock and set that rock in front of the Tamil Nadu State Assembly. ---- Dr. Thanjai Nalankilli in

http://www.tamiltribune.com/99/1202.html

I also oppose telugu, kannada, malay and other languages imposed on the people living in Tamil Nadu.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:12 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:"As long as Tamil Nadu is part of India, Hindi will be imposed on the Tamil people irrespective of who is in power in New Delhi or who is in power in Tamil Nadu." Chisel these words on a rock and set that rock in front of the Tamil Nadu State Assembly. ---- Dr. Thanjai Nalankilli
what naansense. hindi does not enjoy the official language status in tamil nadu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_with_official_status_in_India#Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:05 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:"As long as Tamil Nadu is part of India, Hindi will be imposed on the Tamil people irrespective of who is in power in New Delhi or who is in power in Tamil Nadu." Chisel these words on a rock and set that rock in front of the Tamil Nadu State Assembly. ---- Dr. Thanjai Nalankilli
what naansense. hindi does not enjoy the official language status in tamil nadu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_with_official_status_in_India#Administration

Hindi is the official language of the union government and is prominent in Tamilnadu in all the union government office buildings including indian railways and airports.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:22 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Hindi is the official language of the union government and is prominent in Tamilnadu in all the union government office buildings including indian railways and airports.
official language means the language used in official communications by the state. in TN hindi is NOT used in official communications. because hindi is not the official language in TN, it does not mean that the union cannot advertise or promote hindi. it does through the dakshin prachar sabhas and signs in hindi. you are confusing two things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:34 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

official language means the language used in official communications by the state. in TN hindi is NOT used in official communications. because hindi is not the official language in TN, it does not mean that the union cannot advertise or promote hindi. it does through the dakshin prachar sabhas and signs in hindi. you are confusing two things.

I think you are becoming KV's supporter by implying that TN is a different country than India. Do you think that Union government has no official work to do in TN and has no government buildings and employees in TN?.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:46 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:Do you think that Union government has no official work to do in TN and has no government buildings and employees in TN?.
scratch
the union has official work to do in TN and engages in official communication but NEVER in hindi. capiche?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:53 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:Do you think that Union government has no official work to do in TN and has no government buildings and employees in TN?.
scratch
the union has official work to do in TN and engages in official communication but NEVER in hindi. capiche?

If you go to Chennai Central station and Chennai airport you'd be disabused of this. The announcements are made in Hindi and all the nameplates carry Hindi prominently.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:07 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
scratch

If you go to Chennai Central station and Chennai airport you'd be disabused of this. The announcements are made in Hindi and all the nameplates carry Hindi prominently.
there is a difference between,

(i) advertising skin darkening cream via media and billboards (which might not have any takers),

and

(ii) making it compulsory that everyone buy or use skin darkening cream.

HTH!

you make it sound that the announcements are ONLY in hindi. because TN is not a separate country, the union (railways in this case) has a right to use hindi also while addressing the public for the benefit of visitors from out of TN. the railways and airports cater exclusively to visitors, duh!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:17 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
because TN is not a separate country, the union (railways in this case) has a right to use hindi

That is what is called as Hindi imposition. Hope that helps.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:18 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
because TN is not a separate country, the union (railways in this case) has a right to use hindi

I think now you understand why KV said this

"Hindi imposition will continue in India and Indian army occupied territories. It cannot be stopped.

"As long as Tamil Nadu is part of India, Hindi will be imposed on the Tamil people irrespective of who is in power in New Delhi or who is in power in Tamil Nadu." Chisel these words on a rock and set that rock in front of the Tamil Nadu State Assembly. ---- Dr. Thanjai Nalankilli in "

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:26 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

you don't want the people of TN to have a CHOICE. you are against free will. you are shit scared that if given a choice, people will opt for learning hindi over or in addition to tamil. you style of thinking is scary and it sucks. in time you guys will be shown the door. the union will succeed. i support the union's efforts. you can call it imposition or disposition or prohibition. it doesn't matter. i call the likes of you scary. perhaps you suffer from an inferiority complex too.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:27 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

you don't want the people of TN to have a CHOICE. you are against free will. you are shit scared that if given a choice, people will opt for learning hindi over or in addition to tamil. you style of thinking is scary and it sucks. in time you guys will be shown the door. the union will succeed. i support the union's efforts. you can call it imposition or disposition or prohibition. it doesn't matter. i call the likes of you scary. perhaps you suffer from an inferiority complex too.

to use the apparatus of the state to promote a language is not free choice. it is the opposite of free choice.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:31 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

he..he.. dude you are quite funny.

KV said this
"Hindi imposition will continue in India and Indian army occupied territories. It cannot be stopped."As long as Tamil Nadu is part of India, Hindi will be imposed on the Tamil people.."

and you said this
"because TN is not a separate country, the union (railways in this case) has a right to use hindi"

Basically, both are same and KV is right and you are initially wrong. For pointing that out, why are you indulging in an unprovoked diatribe?. he..he.. :-)

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:53 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:he..he.. dude you are quite funny.
texas!

KV said this
"Hindi imposition will continue in India and Indian army occupied territories. It cannot be stopped."As long as Tamil Nadu is part of India, Hindi will be imposed on the Tamil people.."

and you said this
"because TN is not a separate country, the union (railways in this case) has a right to use hindi"

Basically, both are same
no they are not both the same. you have intentionally eaten up the rest of my sentence. you are equating the railways' announcements in hindi also for the benefit of out-of-state visitors with "imposition." i will add one more diatribe. you are nuts. "logically challenged" would just not be enough for you.

and KV is right and you are initially wrong.
nope. try again. get some forum members to help you too. you are struggling.

why are you indulging in an unprovoked diatribe?. he..he.. :-)
because i am funny, why else? had i been serious i would have said the egsactu same things about you. i still stand by my assessment that you do not want people to have a choice. you still have not declared that my assessment is incorrect. i stand by my assessment that you probably suffer from an inferiority complex too. if your next post is equally incoherent, i will strike out "probably."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:13 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:to use the apparatus of the state to promote a language is not free choice. it is the opposite of free choice.
we have already discussed this issue in such (artood2 vs PP) and the result was inconclusive. i stand by the belief that the cost the state spends in promoting hindi is not something that can be compared with money spent towards the economic improvement of people. having a link language is a long term investment with no immediate, tangible returns AND that the cost the union is bearing to achieve this goal (by seduction, not imposition -- in the dravida) is marginal in my opinion.

edit. not free choice? i don't get your meaning.

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:17 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:14 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
scratch

there is a difference between,

(i) advertising skin darkening cream via media and billboards (which might not have any takers),

and

(ii) making it compulsory that everyone buy or use skin darkening cream.

HTH!

you make it sound that the announcements are ONLY in hindi. because TN is not a separate country, the union (railways in this case) has a right to use hindi also while addressing the public for the benefit of visitors from out of TN. the railways and airports cater exclusively to visitors, duh!
Excellent point. But besides Hindi (which only visitors from North India can understand), they should have all announcements and signs in English which any educated person visiting from any part of the world can understand. I hope they do that.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:20 am

Whatever you are trying to spin, you and KV are saying the same thing, that as long as TN is part of India hindi imposition is bound to happen.

Well, I don't waste time trying to debate "Hindi imposition" with Hindians or those who think mandating the use of Hindi by the union government as offering a choice. You can feel free to think anything of me.

It is the fellow anti-Hindians that I'm concerned about and heartened by the responses in facebook et.al. Kannadigas are now taking the forefront in such issues now .

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:44 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:Whatever you are trying to spin, you and KV are saying the same thing, that as long as TN is part of India hindi imposition is bound to happen.
i am updating my dictionary with a new definition of "imposition." i have to thank dagtar thanjai nalankilli for this and the two of you (KV and you) for approving of the "edit." by the way, i had also wanted to meet dagtar thanjai nalankilli in person. do you have his address? anyone? KV? do you mind sharing? i want him to take up the cause of aseem trivedi who has been arrested by the hindian govt. under ridiculous sections. being a champion of the downtrodden, i am sure he will help me campaign for his release.

but yes, as long as TN continues to be a part of india, the spectre of hindi will always loom on it. you are right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i stand by the belief that the cost the state spends in promoting hindi is not something that can be compared with money spent towards the economic improvement of people.
The money comes from the same limited pool of resources at the state's disposal, so it is a valid comparison.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:having a link language
You are arguing for a second link language, when English already plays that role rather well in India.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:is a long term investment with no immediate, tangible returns
I agree, and that's why it makes no sense. The state is better of spending that money on primary education, poverty reduction or any number of other, higher priorities.

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:07 am

panini press wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i stand by the belief that the cost the state spends in promoting hindi is not something that can be compared with money spent towards the economic improvement of people.
The money comes from the same limited pool of resources at the state's disposal, so it is a valid comparison.
i am not as erudite as artood2 and nor do i have the statistics, as he produced, to argue meaningfully with you on this score. suffice it to say that i had witnessed the discussion you had had with artood2 and all i have to say if that we have to agree to disagree on this score.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
having a link language
You are arguing for a second link language, when English already plays that role rather well in India.
good point. the fact is that hindi has a much higher penetration right now. it makes no practical sense to correct a moral wrong by making people learn english over hindi now. english's penetration is too low to serve as a link language. we have already gone through a hindi "imposition" in the north. yes, "imposition" is what it was. no sense going through another imposition in the north or south for that matter. then again, it is not that english enjoys a wholehearted acceptance as a link language in all states. jyoti basu, himself a convent educated CM, who sent his kids to convent schools, banned the teaching of english in public schools in WB. and that is coming from a non-hindi state. imagine the reaction this move will generate in hindi states.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:
http://www.change.org/en-IN/petitions/government-of-india-through-honourable-governor-of-karnataka-declare-all-scheduled-languages-of-india-as-official-languages

In facebook, I see Kannadigas more passionate in opposing Hindi imposition in their state. Good to see so.

In Todays Udayavani newspaper Amarnath Shivashankar Letter on Hindi Imposition is there. followed by a list of people who have written to udayavani opposing Hindi imposition :-

Why Hindi Imposition on us - Amarnath Shivshankar ( Letter in Today's Udayani )

When we were studying in Primary schools we learnt Kannada, English and Hindi. In those times "Hindi is national language " - such meaningless things was also told. Now as grownups we have realised that India had no national language. Recently the Gujarat High court has also said that Hindi is not the national language. but The Union Government in it's offices like LIC, Post offices, Nationalised Banks, Pension Offices, Railways use only English and Hindi in it's offices. little bit of Kannada inbetween. According to the language policy of the Indian Union Government in every state of India how hindi should be propogated is governed by rules and working towards that is also happening. September 14 is celebrated as Hindi Divas here. People who do not need it have to pay their tax towards c such an expenditure. Inspite of Hindi not being national language why is it imposed on us ? Why should Hindi be taught compulsorily in Karnataka ? English and Kannada are enough. It's time Hindi imposition is stopped in Karnataka. Even if a third language has to be learnt let that choice be left to the student. There are many states that have their own language and in these places the Union Government offices should let go of Hindi Imposition. Unity in Diversity is what India is based on. and to force one language throughout is nothing but something that should be criticized.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:03 pm

When we were studying in Primary schools we learnt Kannada, English and Hindi. In those times "Hindi is national language " - such meaningless things was also told. Now as grownups we have realised that India had no national language.

Lovely, but there are lots of people who are yet to grow up.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:01 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:Lovely, but there are lots of people who are yet to grow up.
when i last travelled by train to bangalore, my travel companion in my cabin was a kannadiga, a senior professor in pesit (reknowned college). his ticket had not been confirmed and he had chosen to travel overnight sitting if i had no objections. i did not present any objection. on the contrary, i requested my house help, accompanying me, to give up his berth for the gent and instead sleep on the floor. my help obliged and the gent was indebted to me. during the course of our conversation the next day, i enquired of him -- my son will be attending college in b'lore; does he need to learn kannada to converse? he smiled and said that because he is a kannadiga, his answer has to be yes but the truth was that it wasn't really necessary for my son could get by with a mixture of english and hindi. i should have told him -- you are still a child but don't you worry; in time you too shall grow up.

a hypothetical question to you: let us assume india has just attained independence. how would you feel if telugu was now forced on the whole of south india?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:27 am

[quote="Huzefa Kapasi"]
Ponniyin Selvan wrote: on the contrary, i requested my house help, accompanying me, to give up his berth for the gent and instead sleep on the floor. my help obliged and the gent was indebted to me.

do you deliberately drop red meat morsels like this?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:38 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:do you deliberately drop red meat morsels like this?
what? didn't get you. come again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:50 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Asking some one else to sacrifice. I think it fits your position on language as well.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:53 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
a hypothetical question to you: let us assume india has just attained independence. how would you feel if telugu was now forced on the whole of south india?

I'd feel the same as I'd feel if Tamil was forced on whole of south india and how Hindi is being forced now on the whole of India.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:00 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Asking some one else to sacrifice. I think it fits your position on language as well.

this was not a sacrifice. we were travelling AC 1. my help sleeps on the floor in our house. i have slept on the floor of AC 1 on countless occasions and i would have done the same had my help not been travelling with me but my co-passenger would not have allowed me to make such a gesture. throw a blanket, cover it with linen and your bed is ready!

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:03 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

I'd feel the same as I'd feel if Tamil was forced on whole of south india and how Hindi is being forced now on the whole of India.
so you don't see the need for a link language. in that case we have nothing left to discuss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:43 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Ponniyin Selvan wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

so you don't see the need for a link language. in that case we have nothing left to discuss.
there is no need for any link language. people will link themselves in any way they want.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:31 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:there is no need for any link language. people will link themselves in any way they want.
what about de-linkng? did babbi need a de-linking language to communicate that? pardon my insolence professor sir. i am, nay, nay, nay, india is grateful to you professor sir-ji and i lie prostrate before thee! please to educate us about the great need for a parallel, to quip au contraire, de-linking language for india?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:there is no need for any link language. people will link themselves in any way they want.
what about de-linkng? did babbi need a de-linking language to communicate that? pardon my insolence professor sir. i am, nay, nay, nay, india is grateful to you professor sir-ji and i lie prostrate before thee! please to educate us about the great need for a parallel, to quip au contraire, de-linking language for india?

Who is babbi?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:45 pm

bhabhi -- corrupted rural speak.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:52 pm

err, baabi to be accurate. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
incoherent, nonsensical rant. fail! ignored!

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

explain to me why a tamilian who knew only english and tamil should approach me in bangalore where i worked with him and request me to act as translator so that he could communicate with the assamese security guard who worked for our office and who knew hindi, bengali, and assamese. not knowing even rudimentary hindi will inevitably lead to problems which is why many tamil parents in TN are these days insisting that their children learn hindi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

explain to me why a tamilian who knew only english and tamil should approach me in bangalore where i worked with him and request me to act as translator so that he could communicate with the assamese security guard who worked for our office and who knew hindi, bengali, and assamese. not knowing even rudimentary hindi will inevitably lead to problems which is why many tamil parents in TN are these days insisting that their children learn hindi.
i have no desire to explain that to you. my position on language policy in india is non-negotiable: no government policy is needed, and i will object to and oppose any such policy. my position is derived from a strong belief in fundamental rights, freedom, and equality in a democracy.

i note that the security guard you refer to did not know kannada, the local language, and that you could have refused to translate for the tamilian. the tamilian would probably have refused to help you in some/any after that.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:00 pm

the position of kannadigas on hindi will also change to become closer to mine, or at least closer to the tamilians', as the title of this thread indicates. thus far, northindians have considered kannadigas to be benign, manipulatable people who have no strong opinions; you'll soon find that that is not true.

i believe that the sooner government-funded education in tamil nadu switches completely to tamil, the better. nearly every other language, including english, french, and chinese, should also be on offer in private, language or other schools.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

i have no desire to explain that to you. my position on language policy in india is non-negotiable: no government policy is needed, and i will object to and oppose any such policy. my position is derived from a strong belief in fundamental rights, freedom, and equality in a democracy.

i note that the security guard you refer to did not know kannada, the local language, and that you could have refused to translate for the tamilian. the tamilian would probably have refused to help you in some/any after that.

neither the security guard nor the tamilian knew the local language kannada. i also believe in fundamental rights, freedom, and equality which is why i believe that those tamils who wish to learn hindi should be allowed to do so. tamils wanting to learn hindi should not be subjected to threats and physical intimidation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:the position of kannadigas on hindi will also change to become closer to mine, or at least closer to the tamilians', as the title of this thread indicates. thus far, northindians have considered kannadigas to be benign, manipulatable people who have no strong opinions; you'll soon find that that is not true.

i believe that the sooner government-funded education in tamil nadu switches completely to tamil, the better. nearly every other language, including english, french, and chinese, should also be on offer in private, language or other schools.

in my opinion the possibility cannot be ruled out that the so called kannadigas who are protesting against hindi are actually people like Thanjai Nalankilli or Kayal Vizhi pretending to be kannadigas.
kannadigas have a problem with tamils wanting to communicate with them in tamil when the conversation is taking place in Karnataka. They seem to be ok with a north indian conversing with them in Hindustani presumably because many if not most of them are already familiar with the southern indian language Dakhini which is a variant of Hindustani.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:09 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

neither the security guard nor the tamilian knew the local language kannada. i also believe in fundamental rights, freedom, and equality which is why i believe that those tamils who wish to learn hindi should be allowed to do so. tamils wanting to learn hindi should not be subjected to threats and physical intimidation.

https://such.forumotion.com/t7659-changing-demographics-of-tamil-nadu-why-are-more-and-more-people-speaking-hindi-in-tn#58097

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:54 pm

Rashmun wrote: i also believe in fundamental rights, freedom, and equality which is why i believe that those tamils who wish to learn hindi should be allowed to do so. tamils wanting to learn hindi should not be subjected to threats and physical intimidation.

nobody would object to what you have written. however, that is a straw man. the issue is using the resources and apparatus of government to promote a particular language and finding justifications for it. that is the crux of the objection (mine anyway).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:02 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote: i also believe in fundamental rights, freedom, and equality which is why i believe that those tamils who wish to learn hindi should be allowed to do so. tamils wanting to learn hindi should not be subjected to threats and physical intimidation.

nobody would object to what you have written. however, that is a straw man. the issue is using the resources and apparatus of government to promote a particular language and finding justifications for it. that is the crux of the objection (mine anyway).

the particular language in this case is a 'national language' in the sense that it is spoken and/or understood by the vast majority of people in the cities of India. There is a need for India to have a link language because otherwise there will always be the danger of secessionist movements fanned by mischievous elements. it is idiotic to suggest that english can serve as a link language in India right now because a clear majority of Indians have no knowledge or very poor knowledge of english (i.e. not enough for the purpose of communication).
south indians are not strangers to hindustani because of the existence of the southern indian language Dakhini which is a variant of Hindustani.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:06 pm

you are not going to change my opinion on the necessity for a national or a link language and i realize i'm not going to change yours. however, my limited intent in this thread was to point out your straw man. nobody is objecting to, or worse, preventing tamilians or any other group of people from learning any language voluntarily. i just wanted to point out that you are arguing a point nobody here is making.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:you are not going to change my opinion on the necessity for a national or a link language and i realize i'm not going to change yours. however, my limited intent in this thread was to point out your straw man. nobody is objecting to, or worse, preventing tamilians or any other group of people from learning any language voluntarily. i just wanted to point out that you are arguing a point nobody here is making.

Max i would like you to publicly condemn those fanatics who gave multiple bomb threats to the school in TN which was trying to teach hindi to its students.

https://such.forumotion.com/t7659-changing-demographics-of-tamil-nadu-why-are-more-and-more-people-speaking-hindi-in-tn#58097

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:59 pm

rashmun -- i never think violence is the answer to anything. if you know anything about me from my posts all these years, i'm sure that's something you may have noticed.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:32 pm

‎ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ರಕ್ಷಣಾ ವೇದಿಕೆ - Karnataka Rakshana Vedike a pro kannada organization with over 65 lakh registered members across Karnataka has been protesting against the Hindi imposition over the past few years.

KRV(short form for Karnataka Rakshana Vedike) has been demanding for equality for all languages in the country. Tax payers money being misused for development of just one language doesn't respect the diversity of this country.
As every year, KRV has organized a protest tomorrow at the freedom park.
Date: 14th September 2012
Time: 11:00 AM

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next