Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rich guy who pays lower tax rate than you complains about poorer people paying no tax

+2
truthbetold
Idéfix
6 posters

Go down

Rich guy who pays lower tax rate than you complains about poorer people paying no tax Empty Rich guy who pays lower tax rate than you complains about poorer people paying no tax

Post by Idéfix Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:10 pm

This one reminds me of Obama's 2008 comment to his donors about people in rural areas clinging to guns and religion...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57514609-503544/romney-to-campaign-donors-obama-voters-dependent-see-selves-as-victims/

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what," Romney is heard saying in the video. "All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it. That, that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what."

Romney goes on to say that "these are people who pay no income tax. 47 percent of Americans who pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect." He says his job "is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

I suspect a good chunk of those 47% are elderly recipients of social security. And most of the rest are the poor that Romney once candidly admitted he doesn't worry about.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Rich guy who pays lower tax rate than you complains about poorer people paying no tax Empty Re: Rich guy who pays lower tax rate than you complains about poorer people paying no tax

Post by Idéfix Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:13 pm

And here is Romney's outreach to the Latinos:

The leaked video includes other notable moments. At one point, in reference to his family's time living in Mexico, Romney says of his father, "Had he been born of Mexican parents, I'd have a better shot of winning this." The comment prompted laughter.

"But he was unfortunately born to Americans living in Mexico," Romney continues. "He lived there for a number of years. And, I mean I say that jokingly, but it would be helpful to be Latino." Polls show Latinos favor Mr. Obama by a wide margin in the presidential race.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Rich guy who pays lower tax rate than you complains about poorer people paying no tax Empty Re: Rich guy who pays lower tax rate than you complains about poorer people paying no tax

Post by truthbetold Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:15 pm

Romney's biggest problem is he never understood america and how ordinary american lives. That is why even republican leaders were apprehensive to back him. He is an example of some smart people who do know life beyond their domain.
Romney, the successful ceo, is turning out to be as clueless as sarah palin.
he still got 50 days. Economy still sucks. He got tons of money and greedy followers. He still has a chance to compete. But his performance after convention is disappointing to say the least.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:14 pm

I am not sure how Mr. Romney is going to explain this..

Social media is on fire tonight..even people I know who are usually dispassionate and not too politicial seem to be affected commenting- discussing more.

I am not surprised how most rich people look down on most people..am surprised how a politician/ex. Gov..can be so reckless and say 47% of the voters/votes don't matter..even a good businessman/salesman would exercise some caution..for his own self-interests be careful about what he says/treats 47% of his customers. Weird.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm

He says his remarks were off the cuff. In other words, this is what he truly thinks of half of America. I am glad it is liberals who are snooty, not severe conservatives like Romney.

PS: that last line was for Hellsu... Sorry couldn't resist.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:36 pm

panini press wrote:This one reminds me of Obama's 2008 comment to his donors about people in rural areas clinging to guns and religion...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57514609-503544/romney-to-campaign-donors-obama-voters-dependent-see-selves-as-victims/

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what," Romney is heard saying in the video. "All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it. That, that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what."

Romney goes on to say that "these are people who pay no income tax. 47 percent of Americans who pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect." He says his job "is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

I suspect a good chunk of those 47% are elderly recipients of social security. And most of the rest are the poor that Romney once candidly admitted he doesn't worry about.

Pretty much pasting my FB status- I hope this bites him in his ass!

Also weak math there. If 47% r poor who vote for Obama, 15% r independents this is 62%. Even if he wins 5-6% of independents that would put him at 42%.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:40 pm

romney is neither a conservative nor a liberal. he is not a moderate either. he is just a severe ass, in that he severely bends his ass in the most suitable direction.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:42 pm

It is that pesky old arithmetic again. That number includes seniors, students and the poor many of whom do pay payroll and sales taxes. But he relies on a careful parsing to say income tax. Now the irony is that most of his own tax bill is capital gains, not income tax.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:54 pm

I wonder exactly what rate of income tax he paid, not capital gains on carried interest. It would be funny if the percentage is in the single digits. I hope someone is looking through his return and doing the math.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:03 pm

panini press quoting romney wrote:

this is where this article helps. there's romney's fantasy and there's real data.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:09 pm

stick a fork in mittard the willard. he's done.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:34 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:stick a fork in mittard the willard. he's done.
I wouldn't write him off just yet. In 2008, McCain was outspent one to three by Obama. In this election, unrestricted outside money from SuperPACs favors Romney three to one. And there is still a lot of outside money to be spent. Obama and the Democrats need to fight this hard right until that first Tuesday in November.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:06 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

this is where this article helps. there's romney's fantasy and there's real data.

these are all part of the 47%. Already discounted by Romney.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down