Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good man

Go down

Good man Empty Good man

Post by Rishi Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Colonel Pennycuick decided to divert the west-flowing Periyar (river)'s culmination in the Arabian Sea towards the East so that it could irrigate lakhs of acres of dry land depending only on Vaigai river.

Though Pennycuick and other British Engineers went ahead with the construction, braving the nature's fury and the dangers of poisonous insects and wild animals, the construction works were disrupted by relentless rain. Large number of sand bags kept for the construction of the dam was destroyed due to severe flood. Since he could not get adequate funds from the British government, Pennycuick went to England and sold his family property to mobilise money to fund the project, which was completed in 1895.

The dam was inaugurated by Lord Wenlock, the then Governor of the Madras Presidency. It resulted in irrigation of 2.23 lakh acres in Theni, Dindigul, Madurai, Sivaganga and Ramanathapuram districts.

Pennycuick used lime and surki paste for construction, taking into consideration the gravitational force. This is the reason why it is able to withstand tremors and remain strong. For all his efforts made, He just said : " I am going to be only once in this earthly world, hence I need to do some good deeds here. This deed should not be prorogue nor ignored since i am not going to be here again ".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pennycuick_(British_engineer)

Rishi

Back to top Go down