Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here we go again..questioning the Good in Good (Cholesterol)

2 posters

Go down

Here we go again..questioning the Good in Good (Cholesterol) Empty Here we go again..questioning the Good in Good (Cholesterol)

Post by Maria S Thu May 17, 2012 8:15 am

No, not good at all..all these hyped up studies and theories followed by radical reversals (not to mention drugs pushed by doctors)- some times too early and too much- like Lipitor. Just common sense- moderation in everything is the key when it comes diet, exercise etc. for wellness. Beyond that- it's mostly a matter of genetics, luck etc!

Doubt Cast on the ‘Good’ in ‘Good Cholesterol’

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/health/research/hdl-good-cholesterol-found-not-to-cut-heart-risk.html?_r=1

Excerpts:

"The name alone sounds so encouraging: HDL, the “good cholesterol.” The more of it in your blood, the lower your risk of heart disease. So bringing up HDL levels has got to be good for health.

Now, a new study that makes use of powerful databases of genetic information has found that raising HDL levels may not make any difference to heart disease risk. People who inherit genes that give them naturally higher HDL levels throughout life have no less heart disease than those who inherit genes that give them slightly lower levels. If HDL were protective, those with genes causing higher levels should have had less heart disease.

Researchers not associated with the study, published online Wednesday in The Lancet, found the results compelling and disturbing. Companies are actively developing and testing drugs that raise HDL, although three recent studies of such treatments have failed. And patients with low HDL levels are often told to try to raise them by exercising or dieting or even by taking niacin, which raised HDL but failed to lower heart disease risk in a recent clinical trial.

“I’d say the HDL hypothesis is on the ropes right now,” said Dr. James A. de Lemos, a professor at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, who was not involved in the study. Dr. Michael Lauer, director of the division of cardiovascular sciences at the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, agreed. "
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Here we go again..questioning the Good in Good (Cholesterol) Empty Re: Here we go again..questioning the Good in Good (Cholesterol)

Post by doofus_maximus Fri May 18, 2012 8:24 am

I don't like a doc saying moderation is everything. I understand your reasoning behind it though. My point is that people can be eat well, exercise well and thin as a reed but they could still have heart disease.

Also another point, these studies on statins' effects on heart disease and HDL cholesterol having no effect on heart disease incidences are long term epidemiological studies. So they tend to have multiple confusing results. One thing though for sure, is that after 20 years of Statin use, it has been proven to be ineffective in many patients.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Here we go again..questioning the Good in Good (Cholesterol) Empty Re: Here we go again..questioning the Good in Good (Cholesterol)

Post by Maria S Fri May 18, 2012 8:46 am

Good Morning DM!

Are you saying "Use moderation, when it comes to saying moderation?"Smile

Seriously, you are right, the "unknowns" are many when it comes to Heart Health (which can lead to existential questions!), but in practical terms, reduction of risk factors can be helpful. *Key words being "can be","possibly" etc.

Perhaps I have been around people who struggle with major addictions for too long..from what I have seen.. for many, moderation works better than total abstinence (which would be ideal).

Agree with your comments about Statin use.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down