Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question 7 - What happens if someone hijacks admin powers?

2 posters

Go down

Question 7 - What happens if someone hijacks admin powers? Empty Question 7 - What happens if someone hijacks admin powers?

Post by SomeProfile Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:27 pm

This forum gives too much power to admin. What if some enterprising poster broke the admin's password? We have already heard stories of smart Sulekhaites breaking into people's email accounts. I am sure Charvaka is using a strong password, but there many ways of breaking passwords.

Another way of hijacking admin powers is by imposing on Charvaka. This might sound dramatic and funny, but stay with me. Suppose someone complains to FBI about another poster and FBI comes knocking on Charvaka's door. Will Charvaka give his admin access to the FBI?

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Question 7 - What happens if someone hijacks admin powers? Empty Re: Question 7 - What happens if someone hijacks admin powers?

Post by SomeProfile Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:59 pm

Here's my answer to this question w.r.t to the Reddit Coffeehouse ( http://www.reddit.com/r/Coffeehouse/ ):

1. Firstly, I am checking to see if I can resign as moderator of that forum and if the forum can continue to exist without any moderators. If I can do that, nobody can hijack moderator powers from me or force me to give those powers to them.

2. The moderators on that forum have extremely limited powers as described here: http://www.reddit.com/help/faq#Moderators .

3. If someone, somehow hijacks moderator power on the Reddit Coffeehouse, you can contact ( http://www.reddit.com/feedback/ ) the people who run the site and they will take action.

To repeat - my aim is to be totally hands off from the Reddit Coffeehouse moderation and to ensure that nobody (neither me nor anybody else) has any more power than any other poster.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Question 7 - What happens if someone hijacks admin powers? Empty Re: Question 7 - What happens if someone hijacks admin powers?

Post by charvaka Sun May 01, 2011 1:34 am

SomeProfile wrote:This forum gives too much power to admin. What if some enterprising poster broke the admin's password? We have already heard stories of smart Sulekhaites breaking into people's email accounts. I am sure Charvaka is using a strong password, but there many ways of breaking passwords.
Forumotion has pretty strong security. And like reddit, they have a process for people to report any hacking attempts on their forum.

SomeProfile wrote:Another way of hijacking admin powers is by imposing on Charvaka. This might sound dramatic and funny, but stay with me. Suppose someone complains to FBI about another poster and FBI comes knocking on Charvaka's door. Will Charvaka give his admin access to the FBI?
This is a bit over the top. FBI, really?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down