Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ramadoss wants Tirupati to merge with TN

+11
Nila
Idéfix
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
indophile
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
nevada
garam_kuta
truthbetold
Vakavaka Pakapaka
confuzzled dude
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ramadoss wants Tirupati to merge with TN - Page 2 Empty Re: Ramadoss wants Tirupati to merge with TN

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:24 pm

nevada wrote:Didn't lot of anti Tamil violence happen in B'lore about 15-2- years ago due to Cauvery dispute? That could be a reason for a B'lorean Tamil to pretend lack of Tamil knowledge. I heard SL tamil sounds like Malayalam. Is that true?
If you keely listen to the individual words, you will find similarities and those words also would be found in Tamil literature.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Ramadoss wants Tirupati to merge with TN - Page 2 Empty Re: Ramadoss wants Tirupati to merge with TN

Post by goodcitizn Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:01 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i have difficulty following SL tamils' tamil
In the mid to late 60's, we used to listen to Radio Ceylon in our transister radio because it played the most current Tamil film songs. The disc jockey used to announce himself as "Mayilvaganan, Chettiar Theru, Kozhumbu." As kids we used to laugh at some of his words ... "avanga kadhaikaraanga" meaning they talked or "avanga ilaneer virumbi oombinaanga" meaning they liked drinking tender coconut water. Oombu was a bad word in Madurai. We got used to his Ceylonese Tamil, as we called it, and it wasn't difficult to follow once we got the hang of it. Btw, the son of Kumar Mayilvaganan went to MCC and stayed in our hostel so we used to tease him a lot about his Tamil. He was a good sport about it too. Malaysian Tamil is equally interesting to hear and interpret.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:17 pm

nevada wrote:Didn't lot of anti Tamil violence happen in B'lore about 15-2- years ago due to Cauvery dispute? That could be a reason for a B'lorean Tamil to pretend lack of Tamil knowledge. I heard SL tamil sounds like Malayalam. Is that true?
Yes, it haPPEned in a large scale in some areas. Even as it happened Karnataka CM was  ouside the capital to see a music festival. Police did not stop it for days. TN CM asked India to send army. Hindian gov refused.

As for the violence it is reported in most newspapers including some Americam and European. You can see a summary at

Cauvery River Water Dispute and Karnataka Massacres: Part 1
http://www.tamiltribune.com/98/0201.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:
Yes, it haPPEned in a large scale in some areas. Even as it happened Karnataka CM was  ouside the capital to see a music festival. Police did not stop it for days. TN CM asked India to send army. Hindian gov refused.

As for the violence it is reported in most newspapers including some Americam and European. You can see a summary at

Cauvery River Water Dispute and Karnataka Massacres: Part 1
http://www.tamiltribune.com/98/0201.html
Can you define Massacre? Looks like anytime ONE tamil is killed then it is a MASSacre for you.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:30 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Nila wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Nila wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i have difficulty following SL tamils' tamil
 I pretend I know no tamil in public; with SL tamil I don't have to pretend.
why? are you ashamed that you know the language?
 Nope. I can read and write tamil. It is something to do with growing up in B'lore...long story.
And B'lore was part of TN ?  Or, are you 60 yrs old?
 Swamiyare, Everyone in B'lore can speak and understand tamil but they won't speak out loud unless it is safe to do so....ulagam theriyma? sori sori Razz Bengalura theriyma?

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:34 am

Nila wrote:
Nila wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Nila wrote: I pretend I know no tamil in public; with SL tamil I don't have to pretend.
why? are you ashamed that you know the language?
 Nope. I can read and write tamil. It is something to do with growing up in B'lore...long story.
 Swamiyare, Everyone in B'lore can speak and understand tamil but they won't speak out loud unless it is safe to do so....ulagam theriyma? sori sori Razz Bengalura theriyma?
What bs, Nila. I go everywhere in Bangalore and speak in Tamil to auto drivers, shopkeepers etc. No problem at all. I do speak a smattering of Kannada but most of the time I am able to get by with Tamil.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:37 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Nila wrote:
Nila wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:why? are you ashamed that you know the language?
What bs, Nila. I go everywhere in Bangalore and speak in Tamil to auto drivers, shopkeepers etc. No problem at all. I do speak a smattering of Kannada but most of the time I am able to get by with Tamil.
You can only speak to auto drivers. Ippo everybody speak English, Hindi, and Gujarathi. Even Thamizhs speak like Tamils there gc.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:42 am

Nila wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Nila wrote:
Nila wrote: Nope. I can read and write tamil. It is something to do with growing up in B'lore...long story.
You can only speak to auto drivers. Ippo everybody speak English, Hindi, and Gujarathi. Even Thamizhs speak like Tamils there gc.
Having been in Bangalore frequently and in long durations for the past 5 years I can vouch for the fact that the most common languages are Kannada, Tamil and Telugu in that order. Of course, English is always there.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2