Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mandolin srinivas

+11
Kris
truthbetold
swapna
garam_kuta
smArtha
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
FluteHolder
Hellsangel
bw
indophile
MaxEntropy_Man
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

mandolin srinivas Empty mandolin srinivas

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:46 am

terrible news:

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-29273642

way too young.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

mandolin srinivas Empty Re: mandolin srinivas

Post by indophile Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:15 am

Yes, really terrible news. I saw him perform as a 13-14 year old boy here in Washington, and Kanyakumari accompanied him on the violin.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:00 am

quite shocking.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:05 am

bw wrote:quite shocking.
Why? He had liver trouble.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:10 am

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:quite shocking.
Why? He had liver trouble.

i had no idea that he had liver trouble - 45 seems too young to die.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:17 am

Some reports say lung infection after a liver transplant. Not sure about whether he was an alcohol user/abuser or not. Too young to die.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:25 am

indophile wrote:Yes, really terrible news. I saw him perform as a 13-14 year old boy here in Washington, and Kanyakumari accompanied him on the violin.

i saw him when he was a bit older, maybe 17 at IIT. then once again in the US a few years later. he was always a technical virtuoso, but the US concert will really stick in my mind for how he had added gravitas and emotional maturity to his playing in a short span. he played a majestic khamboji ragam, thanam, pallavi the main piece of that concert, which i can still hear after all these years. 45 is no age to die. i had heard he was having personal problems with his marriage and things, but did not know he also had health problems. lovely musician. will be terribly missed.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:35 am

. He was an alcoholic. He had a tragic personal broken life. Easy to google.

Well.. how do I know? He was at my house with his brother Rajesh a few years ago.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:54 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:. He was an alcoholic. He had a tragic personal broken life. Easy to google.

Well.. how do I know?  He was at my house with his brother Rajesh a few years ago.

Are the Liver related issues related to his alcoholism? Seems a sAgara sangamam kind story. 
Anyways, great talent and accomplishment at very young age. Karnataka Sangeetham lovers will miss him. 

PS: Is U Rajesh the one married/engaged to Meera Jasmine?

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:09 am

smArtha wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:. He was an alcoholic. He had a tragic personal broken life. Easy to google.

Well.. how do I know?  He was at my house with his brother Rajesh a few years ago.

Are the Liver related issues related to his alcoholism? Seems a sAgara sangamam kind story. 
Anyways, great talent and accomplishment at very young age. Karnataka Sangeetham lovers will miss him. 

Alcohol can cause several liver-related problems - one type is similar to cancer. Essentially like termite eating away the inside of a a wooden structure. This can then lead to bunch of other cardiac and by extension pulmonary issues. 25% of your blood is routed through the liver before reaching back to the heart.

U rajesh was "living with" Meera Jasmine for a few years. Then something happened and she bolted out and out of the blue married some ugly Kerala Christian. She - like most Keral actresses - is a syrian Christian (a combo of Brahmin genes and Westernized Christian values).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:45 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Alcohol can cause several liver-related problems - one type is similar to cancer. Essentially like termite eating away the inside of a a wooden structure. This can then lead to bunch of other cardiac and by extension pulmonary issues. 25% of your blood is routed through the liver before reaching back to the heart.

U rajesh was "living with" Meera Jasmine for a few years. Then something happened and she bolted out and out of the blue married some ugly Kerala Christian. She - like most Keral actresses - is a syrian Christian (a combo of Brahmin genes and Westernized Christian values).

I wasn't asking about how alcoholism effects Liver functions in general. I was specifically inquiring if the Liver problems of U Srinivas are related to his alcoholism. 

Also, Kerala Syrian Christians have Brahman genes? Is this inference from the DNA studies or from any history or folklore about Namboodris/Brahmans converting to Christianity?

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:03 pm

hmm... this reminds me that I should take a look at the "what are you drinking now?" posts -
Oh, No, please....... I am not making any predictions Twisted Evil Razz

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:10 pm

garam_kuta wrote:hmm... this reminds me that I should take a look at the "what are you drinking now?" posts -

mirth making in this thread is in poor taste.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:21 pm

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:27 pm

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:27 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:hmm... this reminds me that I should take a look at the "what are you drinking now?" posts -

mirth making in this thread is in poor taste.

you are right..wrong thread..my sincere apologies Embarassed

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:41 pm

BMarathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
smArtha wrote:

silly gowNDer! I don't keep track of kerala actresses, but afaik, it is the rare one who is syrian christian. the woman called asin is the only one I've heard of.

furthermore, syrian christians are not western christians; they are eastern christians, connected to the the churches that used to be centred at antioch, never to rome or england. 

silly, ignorant gowNDer.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:03 pm

Flimflam/swapna /michelle2
reading comprehension problems , old man.

Westernized Christian values does not mean person of western Christian origin.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:19 pm

a very young srinivas:

the terms boy genius and child prodigy are bruited about in the CM world for just about every little tyke who can play a little guitar or violin these days. this one was the real deal.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:28 pm

kanyakumari was a constant accompanist to US in those days. i haven't seen her on the concert stage in quite a while.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:41 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:kanyakumari was a constant accompanist to US in those days.  i haven't seen her on the concert stage in quite a while.  
May be she is busy other young tykes like that Vinjumuri kid and those like him. I saw that kid recently accompany Sheela, MBK and other noted artists. BMK remarked, "when I was young, I was the only one Balamurali, now there are hundreds."

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:56 pm

swapna wrote:
BMarathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
silly gowNDer! I don't keep track of kerala actresses, but afaik, it is the rare one who is syrian christian. the woman called asin is the only one I've heard of.

furthermore, syrian christians are not western christians; they are eastern christians, connected to the the churches that used to be centred at antioch, never to rome or england. 

silly, ignorant gowNDer.

Sorry.. you are wrong...dead wrong... Meera Jasmine, Asin, Nayanthara, Ananya, Amla Paul, etc..

Expand your knowledge base beyond your 3rd grade spelling bee...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:01 pm

For the musically inclined technical folks 

U Srinivas' design:

Mandolin Srinivas is perhaps the greatest thing to have happened to Mandolin, for it was he who adapted the instrument to Carnatic classical music, made some structural modifications and introduced  ingenious playing techniques to take Mandolin to its present enviable position in music. It would therefore be worthwhile dwelling in sufficient detail on U Srinivas' design in order to fully comprehend the magnitude and enormity of his contribution. 

Gamakas (graces), one would agree without doubt, are quite essential to Carnatic music - so much so that, one cannot play Carnatic music without using gamakas. With the original design of the Mandolin, the musician venturing to play Carnatic music on it, faced two major problems: 

[list="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"]
[*]The presence of pairs of strings made it extremely difficult to render complex gamakas. 

[*]The sustenance (the time period for which a note would be heard from the time the string is plucked) of the instrument, on the whole, was not sufficient enough (to some extent attributable to the presence of "pairs of strings") to admit slow-tempo compositions.

[/list]
Mandolin Srinivas came up with some modifications which (i) eliminated completely the problem of gamaka rendition, (ii) to a great extent enhanced the sustenance of the instrument, and (iii) enhanced the acoustic range of the instrument. 

Mandolin Srinivas (a) chose the electric solid block (Mandolin) as the basis; (b) used single strings instead of pairs, and (c) also added a fifth string (on the suggestion of his father U Satyanarayana), which enhanced the acoustic range of the instrument. As such the acoustic range of the instrument is now three complete octaves and  a half octave.

These modifications have opened up gates which were hitherto thought impossible. The inevitable fallout of these modifications is that the Mandolin, in this new design, has lost its characteristic plink-plunk sound (attributable to the pairs of strings) and the playing style of continuous, fast up-down plucking as a means of sustaining notes. But then, in view of the stupendous vistas and the expressing potential opened up by the new design, one is more than pleased to overlook this. Mandolin Srinivas' design of the Mandolin is available with quite a few musical instrument makers in Chennai, India. 

The phenomenal contribution of Mandolin Srinivas to the techniques of Mandolin playing in Carnatic music: 

The first thing that Mandolin Srinivas did was to change the tuning of the Mandolin to suit the requirements of Carnatic music in the following manner: 

String numberKey/Scale to which tuned (Western notation)Equivalent note in Carnatic music
1CSa - Tara sthayi
2GPa
3CSa
4GPa - Mandra sthayi
5CSa - Mandra sthayi

Changing the tuning from that of the standard Mandolins not only enhanced the range of the instrument, but also the enabled the player to avail of the advantage of having the resonance of the Sa and/or Pa on tap by default. This helps the player fill the void, the emptiness which could sometimes creep into a rendition. 

With Sa-Pa-Sa tuning as the base, Mandolin Srinivas devised very ingenious fingering techniques for playing intricate gamakas and for enhancing the expressive potential of the Mandolin. 

Some of the patent 'Srinivas techniques' are discussed below. 

Establishment of the basic fingering pattern: 
In the basic fingering pattern, the left index finger is designated for Ri and Dha, the left middle finger for Ga and Ni, and the left ring finger for Ma regardless of the type of Ri, Ga, Dha and Ni. Sa and Pa are open strings, meaning, those notes can be played without pressing the strings against any fret.

The basic fingering pattern is broken while playing gamakas - this is because the very essence of gamakas lie in the continuity of notes, the graceful curves of frequencies. Gamaka playing, therefore, essentially involves using any of the three fingers identified herefore and sliding the finger down on the string whilst pressing them on the fingerboard and emphasizing only the required notes. 

Evolving the gamaka techniques suitable to the Mandolin: 
[list="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"]
[*]Kampita (and its variants): Kampita essentially involves moving up and down between two notes. The various colours of the Gandhara of raga Todi can be obtained by (i) the Mandolin's variant of the 'kampita' technique (as elucidated in Sangeeta Ratnakara of Shaamgadeva) - where the 'kampita' is obtained by rapid up-down movements between the corresponding frets giving the Chatusruti Rishabha and Sadharana Gandhara notes; and (ii) by sliding back and forth twice or thrice between the corresponding frets giving the Shuddha Rishabha and Madhyama notes whilst emphasising the Todi's Gandhara tinge. The same technique with due changes when required can be used for various other ragas viz, the Madhyama and Nishadha of Begada. 

[*]Brigas: By brigas we mean a complex inter-twining of a series of notes played at a high speed, where some of the notes are played twice. The notes played twice are called brigas points. Briga points can be played in two ways, viz, (a) using two fingers - by playing a note with a left finger (say the middle) and sliding hard to that note from its previous (chromatic) note with another finger (in this case, the index) and (b) using one finger - by playing a note with a finger and very rapidly moving the finger back one note (chromatic) and bringing it back to the note with which the gamaka process was started. Playing brigas is difficult on the Mandolin on account of the amplification because even the smallest imperfection in playing the briga would be clearly audible and would jar the listener.

[*]Hammer-on' as a means of gamaka playing: Hammer-on is not a new technique in that it has been and is being used extensively in western guitar playing. But the way Mandolin Srinivas has used it in Carnatic music, is amazing. Hammer-on means hitting a note sufficiently hard with any of the left fingers against a fret - the note may be plucked or unplucked. Hammer-on is used as an alternative to sliding down hard to a note or to a note higher on the musical scale (e.g., in a sequence in raga Kalyani the notes Ma-Pa-Da-Ni-Sa, the Ma can be played by hammering-on Pa or by sliding down hard to Pa. 

[*]Nalinam: Suresh Kumar's nomenclature. This involves sliding gracefully to a series of notes which are not necessarily in the serial order of the raga. E.g., in raga Sankarabharanam (equivalent to the major scale in western music) the sequence Sa-(pause) -Ri-Ga-Ri-(pause)-Sa is played by plucking Sa (third string played open) and sliding one left finger (usually the middle or ring) across the following notes: Sa-(pause)-Ga-Ri-Ga-Ma-Ga-Ga-Ri-(pause)-Sa (It is to be noted in this phrase that Ma is not emphasized, in order to render a proper feel of Sankarabharanam. Nalinam can be used in innumerable variations, and by appropriately using emphasis points, a variety of bhava (feelings) can be expressed and gana-naya (modifications) can be achieved. 

[*]Octavo: Octavo involves playing a note in two or three octaves simultaneously. Doing this makes the Mandolin sound like the Chitravina. 

[/list]
Making the Mandolin sing - the 'gayaki' style:

Since Carnatic music is sahitya-pradhana (meaning, importance is given to lyrics), the ultimate goal of every instrumentalist is to make the music played on the instrument as close to singing as possible. This process, however, becomes difficult because of the technical limitations posed by the instruments. A lot of work has been done by Mandolin Srinvas, and in turn, by Suresh Kumar, vis-a-vis Mandolin, towards realization of this ultimate goal on Mandolin and making it sing. 

When one sings, the transition across two or more notes is usually seamless. The same cannot always be translated onto instruments. Speaking specifically of the Mandolin, oftentimes one is forced to break the continuity of a sequence of notes because the sequence is so long in its musical range that it cannot be practically played without switching from one string to another. Both Mandolin Srinivas and Suresh Kumar have evolved different ways of getting around the technical limitation. 

a. Bridging the gap between the strings: Suresh Kumar's nomenclature. This is a technique which is used to play a series notes virtually seamlessly even though such playing would involve switching across two or more strings. This technique essentially involves an analysis of the series of notes sought to be played and the identification of "breathing points" in the series of notes and fixing the exact points where the switchover can be made virtually seamlessly, plus the manner in which the switchover is to be played.

To play the series Ri-Ma-Ri-Sa (all Tara sthayi notes) Ni-Da-Ma-Pa-Ni-Sa (corresponding to "Yagayoga tyaaga, bhogaphalamosangay" - lyrics of "Ragasudharasa", a composition of Tyagaraja in raga Andolika), the phrase would, in the ordinary course, be played in the following manner:

Ri-Ma-Ri-Sa - on the 1st string; Ni-Da on the 2nd string; and Ma on the 3rd string; Pa-Ni-Sa on the 2nd string.

However, "bridging the gap between the strings" technique would involve playing notes in the following manner:

Ri-Ma-Ri-Sa - on the 1st string; Ni-Da-Ma on the 3rd string; Pa-Ni-Sa on the 2nd string. Playing this way would ensure that the continuity is not broken.

b. Vocalisation: When one sings, it is easy to pronounce the syllables like Ra, Bha, as also the vowels like aa,oo,e,ee. To achieve vocalisation on the Mandolin however, there are some evolved techniques: 

The syllable "Ra" can be played by plucking equivalent/harmonising notes on two strings simultaneously. "Bha" can be played with a heavy slide and pluck, while playing the desired gamaka. The open string would give the "aa" (as in the pronouncement of the word "part") or "a" (as in "pat") sounds (depending on where the note is plucked - near the bridge or away from the bridge), while the same note when played not as-an-open string, would give the oo-ee sounds. 

These are other standard and non-standard gamakas and /or fingering techniques which help in achieving the gayaki style. Conservatively speaking, the extent of gayaki achievable on the Mandolin is at least 85%. 

One may be inclined to think that since Mandolin can be classified into the Vina family (if classified with Indian musical instruments ), the Dasa-gamakas of Vina may be applicable to the Mandolin without much of a change in the fingering technique. It needs to be stressed that most of the fingering techniques of the Vina cannot be planted to the Mandolin verbatim, because of the structural differences in the construction of both these instruments. 

Read More: http://www.carnatica.net/sangeet/mandolin2.htm

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:02 pm

That girl Shalini (who married a Tamil movie hero and quit acting) is also a Syrian Christian, right? A very good actress though only average looking.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:02 pm

smArtha wrote:

I wasn't asking about how alcoholism effects Liver functions in general. I was specifically inquiring if the Liver problems of U Srinivas are related to his alcoholism. 

We will never know... it may not be all about drinking. For someone to die of alcohol-related Cirrhosis at this young age, he must be a complete drunk 24/7 for a while forgetting music and everything. But, that is not the case. All I know is his personal life was/is a mess with a kid caught in between.

In anycase, he was a nice down-to-earth guy and a great accomplished performer. Sad.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:04 pm

indophile wrote:That girl Shalini (who married a Tamil movie hero and quit acting) is also a Syrian Christian, right? A very good actress though only average looking.

Yep... Shalini was not average looking but more like a girl next door. She was/is still one of my favorites...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:06 pm

In anycase, he was a nice down-to-earth guy and a great accomplished performer. Sad.

i've heard that from so many people in the chennai music circles. for someone who was a trail blazer he was just too down to earth and too nice.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:33 pm

smArtha wrote:

>>> Very tragic for someone to die at 45. I am a bit confused on this Jasmine person. I thought she was engaged to Srinivas's brother and then read somewhere that she had gotten married to someone else. Boji had posted something about her inability to live with her in-laws due to the joint family aspect. I thought it was conjecture on his part, since he went on to describe a lifestyle which was far from charitable.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:22 pm

smArtha wrote:

Also, Kerala Syrian Christians have Brahman genes? Is this inference from the DNA studies or from any history or folklore about Namboodris/Brahmans converting to Christianity?
He means, "tala tikka".

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:46 pm

indophile wrote:That girl Shalini (who married a Tamil movie hero and quit acting) is also a Syrian Christian, right? A very good actress though only average looking.
>>>If it is the one that I am thinking of she is not glamorous but pleasing on the eye, the sort of girl your mother would like (I don't mean that facetiously).

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:07 pm

I just listened to few you tube videos of Srinivas.  To may untrained ears , they sounded very good.  I will listen some more.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:21 pm

indophile wrote:Yes, really terrible news. I saw him perform as a 13-14 year old boy here in Washington, and Kanyakumari accompanied him on the violin.

i went to one concert of his in the US and unfortunately, it was rather sparsely attended. grew up watching him and unnikrishnan (and vish anand) hailed as the child prodigies.  u srinivas had such a beatific smile.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:39 pm

there aren't that many child prodigies in CM hype notwithstanding. srinivas was definitely one. sankaran naboodiri was another. don't know why he faded away.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:41 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:there aren't that many child prodigies in CM hype notwithstanding. srinivas was definitely one. sankaran naboodiri was another. don't know why he faded away.

yes, shankaran namboodiri was the other one.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zXLXBIKZpY

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:30 am

http://www.thenewsminute.com/lives/293
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:12 am

Sorry to hear about the passing of this talented musician.

Don't know anything about his illnesses, am sure the emotional distress and stress he was under for years was quite enormous, and that took a huge toll.

It is very rare that a man produces so much "tangible" evidence of public humiliation and emotional cruelty by a woman..and the Court stepped in and denied "regaining-restitution of conjugal rights" request from a wife.

Although in general, people live longer..death in the 40s and 50s is not so uncommon. Have lost quite a few of my peers in recent months to Cancer and Cardiovascular disease (ironically they did not smoke, were physically fit and were mostly medical professionals).

As the saying goes, don't take your health for granted..don't take others you care about for granted.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:21 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:there aren't that many child prodigies in CM hype notwithstanding. srinivas was definitely one. sankaran naboodiri was another. don't know why he faded away.

Then there is Veenai Gayathri.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:26 am

sashank

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:34 pm

i am haunted by the video of that little boy with the tonsured head playing like the fully formed musician he already was. and such a twinkle in his eye too! so unfair.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:29 am

Kinnera wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zXLXBIKZpY

The uy at 16:50 is U Rajesh (I think) who mostly went in Jeans and movie-star style. He piggy backed his elder brother and an exact opposite.

The big woman at 17:00 is Veenai gayathri (I am reasonably sure) who was a child prodigy herself and gave a concert at Music Academy hall at 8 yrs when she could hardly reach the ends of a veenai. Then got into bell-bottom and western dance culture in her teenage years and disappeared. She came back to the CM scene but never recaptured people's admiration.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nag Raj Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:10 am

There are some apprehension about how Srinivasan died.    Whether alcohol was the factor etc.,    So, I decided to share this with you all.   I am not sure if he is an alcohol user or abuser but this is what happened.    Early this month, Shrinivas went to Apollo Hospitals with complaints of general weakness and loss of appetite. "He said he was traveling on a concert and maybe because of eating out, he felt unwell," said the doctor. "A detailed diagnosis revealed multiple problems: pneumonia, failing kidneys and acute liver failure. The problems were long-existing, but somehow he didn't realize it till it was too late." 

Through dialysis and antibiotics, doctors stabilized the lungs and kidneys and did a liver transplant. He appeared to be on his way to recovery when another bout of infection led to multiple organ failure. Too bad he is not with us.    

Nag Raj

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:31 am

Nag Raj wrote:There are some apprehension about how Srinivasan died.    Whether alcohol was the factor etc.,    So, I decided to share this with you all.   I am not sure if he is an alcohol user or abuser but this is what happened.    Early this month, Shrinivas went to Apollo Hospitals with complaints of general weakness and loss of appetite. "He said he was traveling on a concert and maybe because of eating out, he felt unwell," said the doctor. "A detailed diagnosis revealed multiple problems: pneumonia, failing kidneys and acute liver failure. The problems were long-existing, but somehow he didn't realize it till it was too late." 

Through dialysis and antibiotics, doctors stabilized the lungs and kidneys and did a liver transplant. He appeared to be on his way to recovery when another bout of infection led to multiple organ failure. Too bad he is not with us.    

This is what I read in a newsitem as well. Hard to imagine him as an alcohol abuser at least not to the extent of needing a liver transplant at 45. Unfortunately, many times people dont realize the liver symptoms until it is a little too late. The case of former Maharashtra CM Vilasrao Deshmukh who died in madras 2, 3 yrs ago of - liver transplant failure - comes to mind. Nobody suspected anything until he fell sick and died within 2 weeks or so.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:25 am

gayathri and shashank are competent musicians but fall short of genius. the other musician who definitely was a genius in adulthood and used to be hailed as a boy wonder was flute mali. i've only listened to his recorded stuff.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:38 am

The uy at 16:50 is U Rajesh (I think) who mostly went in Jeans and movie-star style. He piggy backed his elder brother and an exact opposite.

The big woman at 17:00 is Veenai gayathri (I am reasonably sure) who was a child prodigy herself and gave a concert at Music Academy hall at 8 yrs when she could hardly reach the ends of a veenai. Then got into bell-bottom and western dance culture in her teenage years and disappeared. She came back to the CM scene but never recaptured people's admiration.
I could recognize Devi sri prasad, drums sivamani, mano, and of course, Ilaya Raja. Who are the two women around 14 mins? Must be CM musicians.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:09 am

Kinnera wrote:

I could recognize Devi sri prasad, drums sivamani, mano, and of course, Ilaya Raja. Who are the two women around 14 mins? Must be CM musicians.

gayathri and ranjani. i don't know their last  names but they're siblings.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:19 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:gayathri and shashank are competent musicians but fall short of genius.  the other musician who definitely was a genius in adulthood and used to be hailed as a boy wonder was flute mali. i've only listened to his recorded stuff.

well..the one and only BMK ???

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:23 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

gayathri and ranjani. i don't know their last  names but they're siblings.
Oh ok, they are sisters. Thanks. They look so elegant.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:24 am

garam_kuta wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:gayathri and shashank are competent musicians but fall short of genius.  the other musician who definitely was a genius in adulthood and used to be hailed as a boy wonder was flute mali. i've only listened to his recorded stuff.

well..the one and only BMK ???

because i don't enjoy being at the receiving end of cheruppu malais, i am pleading the fifth. great modern composer on a par with lalgudi.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:15 am

ha. ha..good one max, takin' the fith Razz

MDR, KVN, BMK (after late 70s) are so acquired tastes, like campari soda, maagani kizhanghu or sabsighE soppu and such

but the 60's young BMK with MSG or Lalgudi - priceless.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next