Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We have our own traditions - a Tamil woman

+7
confuzzled dude
MaxEntropy_Man
Hellsangel
garam_kuta
goodcitizn
garam-kuta
seven
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

We have our own traditions - a Tamil woman Empty We have our own traditions - a Tamil woman

Post by seven Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:19 pm

...and do not want to add more to the list"

She works in US. When people were exchanging Ramnavmi greetings, she said we don't celebrate Ramnavmi in tamilnadu. We have our own Festivals, don't want to add new ones to  the list followed by a sheepish hehe. 

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

You cannot wish someone or accept a wish from someone Bcz you don't celebrate that in your state? What kind of insecure culture is this? 
You are not even there right now. You're in US, which btw is very accepting of other cultures.

Other thing that worries me is *I* noticed she said that. Normally I wouldn't care. I'll be like so they don't celebrate, whatever. Move on to other things like who is bringing what to the potluck. But I noticed she said that n didn't like it. It reminded me of max entropy n other closed tamilnadus.

seven

Back to top Go down

We have our own traditions - a Tamil woman Empty Re: We have our own traditions - a Tamil woman

Post by garam-kuta Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:32 pm

seven wrote:...and do not want to add more to the list"

She works in US. When people were exchanging Ramnavmi greetings, she said we don't celebrate Ramnavmi in tamilnadu. We have our own Festivals, don't want to add new ones to  the list followed by a sheepish hehe. 

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

You cannot wish someone or accept a wish from someone Bcz you don't celebrate that in your state? What kind of insecure culture is this? 
You are not even there right now. You're in US, which btw is very accepting of other cultures.

Other thing that worries me is *I* noticed she said that. Normally I wouldn't care. I'll be like so they don't celebrate, whatever. Move on to other things like who is bringing what to the potluck. But I noticed she said that n didn't like it. It reminded me of max entropy n other closed tamilnadus.

would you mind translating the last paragraph to a language that you know better. even if it's hindi, we may understand it better than your english. thanks in advance.

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

We have our own traditions - a Tamil woman Empty Re: We have our own traditions - a Tamil woman

Post by goodcitizn Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:45 pm

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

Sri Rama Navami is celebrated in Tamil Nadu. The Rameswaram temple has a nine-day celebration. That woman you are referring to must be a Tamil Christian or Muslim.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:49 pm

garam-kuta wrote:

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

would you mind translating the last paragraph to a language that you know better. even if it's hindi, we may understand it better than your english. thanks in advance.
I feel this forum n learning about Tamil people's mentality is influencing me in a bad way.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:59 pm

seven wrote:
garam-kuta wrote:

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

I feel this forum n learning about Tamil people's mentality is influencing me in a bad way.

you may have a point, seven. Look what it did to the senile one, having lived among tamilnadus (I like this term hehe) for 22 impressionable years of his life Shocked. and look what happened to Rashmun, who I believe used to be an earnest, although idiotic, scholar. What a Face The senile one HAD to pretend to be a TAMBRAM and listen to their conversations by eavesdropping from outside their dorm rooms to gain some sorta acceptance. Rashmun, poor fella, could not learn their language even.

hahaha.. jokes aside. I know someone indian and non-tamil and non-Christian who gets PISSED if people wish them merry Christmas. different different personalities.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:07 pm

seven wrote:
garam-kuta wrote:

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

Seven, you start this thread with the assumption that people in Tamil Nadu don't celebrate Rama Navami (not Navmi) based on one Tamil woman's comment and then make snide remarks about Max and others without knowing anything about the Hindu practices in Tamil Nadu. I question your mentality.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:09 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:
seven wrote:
garam-kuta wrote:

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

you may have a point, seven. Look what it did to the senile one, having lived among tamilnadus (I like this term hehe) for 22 impressionable years of his life Shocked. and look what happened to Rashmun, who I believe used to be an earnest, although idiotic, scholar. What a Face The senile one HAD to pretend to be a TAMBRAM and listen to their conversations by eavesdropping from outside their dorm rooms to gain some sorta acceptance. Rashmun, poor fella, could not learn their language even.

hahaha.. jokes aside. I know someone indian and non-tamil and non-Christian who gets PISSED if people wish them merry Christmas. different different personalities.

TW, she has no point.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:13 pm

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

please seven..one swallow doesn't make a summer. and as good citizen has pointed out, majority of tamilians do celebrate ramanavami - the issue is it is rooted in religion and hence may not gel with linguistic solidarity. in the us, celebrating christmas is fun but optional for non-christians though the language enlish could be the common denominator.

I think max is just assertive of his own rights to choose, and not be pushed to renounce distinct cultural traditions and lose distinction. as for me , i love those feasting festivals and generally refrain those fasting ones Smile

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:26 pm

garam_kuta wrote:

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

please seven..one swallow doesn't make a summer. and as good citizen has pointed out, majority of tamilians do celebrate ramanavami - the issue is it is rooted in religion and hence may not gel with linguistic solidarity. in the us, celebrating christmas is fun but optional for non-christians though the language enlish could be the common denominator.

I think max is just assertive of his own rights to choose, and not be pushed to renounce distinct cultural traditions and lose distinction. as for me , i love those feasting festivals and generally refrain those fasting ones Smile

yes. pleading and gentle persuasion will work with the northindian crowd. do some more.

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:30 pm

seven wrote:
garam-kuta wrote:

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

ha ha ha the imposter hyphenator, like the senile demented sistah, is targeting women and looking for 'pun' dai.டேய்...நன்னா பார்த்து மழுமழுன்னு சரைச்சு விடப்போறியா?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi GC. Welcome back.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Hi GC. Welcome back.

Thanks, Hellsbells. Wtf is going on here? I notice two hotdogs and a lot of pig vomit threads.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:48 pm

goodcitizn wrote:

Thanks, Hellsbells. Wtf is going on here? I notice two hotdogs and a lot of pig vomit threads.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:04 pm

Hey GC

welcome back... currently, this (video below) is what's going on. from this you might be able to assume what was going on before that. 

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:16 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:Hey GC

welcome back... currently, this (video below) is what's going on. from this you might be able to assume what was going on before that. 

I can see from HA's, Hotdog's and your response as to why this is no longer a fun forum to visit.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:18 pm

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

tamilnadu is not a person. "closed tamilnadus" doesn't make any sense.

i see that others have corrected you re TN and ramanavami. regardless, the person who told you off is absolutely right in telling you that she doesn't celebrate ramanavami. why does it concern you whether or not she celebrates ramanavami? it's a religious festival, isn't it?

a broader point -- i will pick and choose aspects of your culture and art that i find interesting and reject what doesn't appeal to me. for example i love hindustani music (it's a good bet that i know more about it than the average northindian), but i detest the holi festival. i also have no interest in the stories of prem chand.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:19 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:Hey GC

I can see from HA's, Hotdog's and your response as to why this is no longer a fun forum to visit.

what is fun anyway... lol

yeah you are right. i am waiting for the senile one to go through his documents and copy paste his usual post to you soon. Only this time, he will highlight few random words and make them bold [font].

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:21 pm

goodcitizn wrote:

wow... you summarized it so succinctly.

the hyphenated ie., garam-kuta is rashmun, who doesn't deny it. and the pig vomit belongs to the senile and now totally demented casteist

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:23 pm

more tamilians speak hindi than northindians who speak tamil. many tamilians have studied hindustani music formally and become professional hindustani musicians. northindian carnatic musician is a non-existent species. so we'll talk about cultural open-mindedness after you (i.e. seven) have attended your first carnatic music concert.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:37 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:more tamilians speak hindi than northindians who speak tamil. many tamilians have studied hindustani music formally and become professional hindustani musicians. northindian carnatic musician is a non-existent species. so we'll talk about cultural open-mindedness after you (i.e. seven) have attended your first carnatic music concert.

this was more about simple greetings and mere pot luck (I think). where there is feasting, it's a different type of mindset. music recital is a bigger commitment. My gujju friend teaches BN to little kids in her neighborhood. she doesn't think my culture their culture. She likes it, she does it. you think it, not sure if that's "true" open mindedness. seven has started thinking it now. That's what her point was in OP. 

talking about feasting, i remember reading here i think, that now a days BN personal type of concerts people keep samosa, etc to entice audience while it was not a norm before. So I mean... that's cultural openness right there, and in a way proves your point.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:42 pm

goodcitizn wrote:

please excuse the language of the underscore doggy. extreme trauma is the reason for that language.
the 180 degree thread will give you the clues.

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:44 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:more tamilians speak hindi than northindians who speak tamil. many tamilians have studied hindustani music formally and become professional hindustani musicians. northindian carnatic musician is a non-existent species. so we'll talk about cultural open-mindedness after you (i.e. seven) have attended your first carnatic music concert.
+1

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

i see that others have corrected you re TN and ramanavami. regardless, the person who told you off is absolutely right in telling you that she doesn't celebrate ramanavami. why does it concern you whether or not she celebrates ramanavami? it's a religious festival, isn't it?

That woman saying, "we don't celebrate Ramanavami in Tamil Nadu; we have other festivals," seems to suggest she is a non-Hindu.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:54 pm

garam-kuta wrote:
+1

i am also in agreement with what Max has written. but i think we need to go deeper into this issue. for instance, there is a lot of cultural variation between a punjabi vs uttar pradeshi vs bihari vs bengali. to lump them into a single category of NI ("northindian") in any discussion involving indian culture is just intellectual laziness.
it is easier for a tamilian to know hindi because of the existence of the language Dakhini (or Dakhni) which is the southern indian variant of hindi. this is a good article on the subject:

http://www.makarand.com/acad/HindiHainHum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:00 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

That woman saying, "we don't celebrate Ramanavami in Tamil Nadu; we have other festivals," seems to suggest she is a non-Hindu.

how do you celebrate it? if i remember correctly, we invite about 9 or more kids (is it girls?) from the neighborhood for a feast at home. i am usually never clear on what we do when, but this is what's coming to my mind. as per my habit, i assume a lot. so am guessing the op convo was, 'we don't celebrate it this way'.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:09 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:
how do you celebrate it? if i remember correctly, we invite about 9 or more kids (is it girls?) from the neighborhood for a feast at home. i am usually never clear on what we do when, but this is what's coming to my mind. as per my habit, i assume a lot. so am guessing the op convo was, 'we don't celebrate it this way'.

Performing Sita & Rama's Kalyanam is the main thing in Andhra..

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:16 pm

A friend of mine from Punjab told me that people from Punjab, Haryana, HP etc., mainly worship Vaishno Devi, Rama Navami not very popular; in a way they have their own traditions too.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:23 pm

Do you say the same to a westerner? "I can speak in english and feel that the more proficient I am in that, the more superior I am to others. How much Tamil do you know? I listen to jazz, rock, western classical and all and believe that listening to them makes me look sophisticated and classy. How much do you know about Carnatic music? I eat grilled salmon and drink expensive whiskeys and beers, which puts me in an upscale league. Have you ever tasted arachuvitta sambar, paruppu rasam or tayir sadam?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:25 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Do you say the same to a westerner? "I can speak in english and feel that the more proficient I am in that, the more superior I am to others. How much Tamil do you know? I listen to jazz, rock, western classical and all and believe that listening to them makes me look sophisticated and classy. How much do you know about Carnatic music? I eat grilled salmon and drink expensive whiskeys and beers, which puts me in an upscale league. Have you ever tasted arachuvitta sambar, paruppu rasam or tayir sadam?"

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:37 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

lol!
Those are valid questions If that Westerner lived all his life India/TN and that was Max's point.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Appalamma Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:38 pm

Kinnera wrote:

Valid questions if the westerner lives in TN.

Appalamma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:40 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

lol!
Those are valid questions If that Westerner lived all his life India/TN and that was Max's point.

it was funny to me the way it was composed. listing particular things and activities Max constantly talks about. I never remember details like this, and hence parodies/spoofs are always funny to me. 

and no, i don't think max wasn't addressing NIs living in TN.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:42 pm

Appalamma wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

Valid questions if the westerner lives in TN.
So max started doing all that only after living in US?

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:44 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

lol!

it was funny to me the way it was composed. listing particular things and activities Max constantly talks about. I never remember details like this, and hence parodies/spoofs are always funny to me. 

Many Indians [arrogantly] claim that they write/spell better than Americans. Well, Max's and many South Indians' gripe is about North Indians insistence, on everyone speaking in Hindi while not making any effort to learn another Indian language.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:48 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:
take your pick this is in chennai triplicane just like what CD posted

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:19 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
seven wrote:
garam-kuta wrote:

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

Seven, you start this thread with the assumption that people in Tamil Nadu don't celebrate Rama Navami (not Navmi) based on one Tamil woman's comment and then make snide remarks about Max and others without knowing anything about the Hindu practices in Tamil Nadu. I question your mentality.
i did not assume one way or another. it's celebrated or not is besides the point. i talked about that woman's reluctance to accept ram navmi wishes and instead of just letting it slide, making a point to tell everyone they don't celebrate it in TN, have their own things (yes, she said things) and don't want to add new things. 

her attitude towards accepting wishes reminded me of max somehow. it may be because i'm not too impressed by tamils on this forum. or maybe because my mentality is becoming like the general mood of our forum - foul.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:24 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:A friend of mine from Punjab told me that people from Punjab, Haryana, HP etc., mainly worship Vaishno Devi, Rama Navami not very popular; in a way they have their own traditions too.
did they reply to a non-vaishno devi greeting with a hehe we dont celebrate that in our state. we have our own things and dont want to add new things hehe?

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:26 pm

Rashmun wrote:
garam-kuta wrote:
+1

i am also in agreement with what Max has written. but i think we need to go deeper into this issue. for instance, there is a lot of cultural variation between a punjabi vs uttar pradeshi vs bihari vs bengali. to lump them into a single category of NI ("northindian") in any discussion involving indian culture is just intellectual laziness.
it is easier for a tamilian to know hindi because of the existence of the language Dakhini (or Dakhni) which is the southern indian variant of hindi. this is a good article on the subject:

http://www.makarand.com/acad/HindiHainHum.htm
YOU! don't try to make this about language. dakhni urdu hindi swahili  tearing hair out  NO.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:27 pm

seven wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
seven wrote:
garam-kuta wrote:

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

i did not assume one way or another. it's celebrated or not is besides the point. i talked about that woman's reluctance to accept ram navmi wishes and instead of just letting it slide, making a point to tell everyone they don't celebrate it in TN, have their own things (yes, she said things) and don't want to add new things. 

her attitude towards accepting wishes reminded me of max somehow. it may be because i'm not too impressed by tamils on this forum. or maybe because my mentality is becoming like the general mood of our forum - foul.

as per my observation tamils are, in general and on average, superior culturally, ethically, morally, and intellectually to all other Indians. of course there will always be the occasional rotten apple like perhaps the woman you spoke with.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:29 pm

so you are denying tamils are culturally rigid and suggesting north indians are closed exclusively north indian, yea?

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:33 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:

this was more about simple greetings and mere pot luck (I think). where there is feasting, it's a different type of mindset. music recital is a bigger commitment. My gujju friend teaches BN to little kids in her neighborhood. she doesn't think my culture their culture. She likes it, she does it. you think it, not sure if that's "true" open mindedness. seven has started thinking it now. That's what her point was in OP. 

talking about feasting, i remember reading here i think, that now a days BN personal type of concerts people keep samosa, etc to entice audience while it was not a norm before. So I mean... that's cultural openness right there, and in a way proves your point.
Yes, thank you tracy for writing it so articulately. that's what my original point was. 

i never thought about my culture their traditions. i don't now also. but i notice people who do. that's new.

@ max - about me attending carnatik concert - it's no reflection on my cultural openness. i don't do it because i have no interest in it. not because it's tamil legacy and we have our own legacy and dont want to contaminate that with tamil people's music. 
same thing with language. i don't speak tamil because i never needed to. not because it's tamil people's language and we have our language.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:50 pm

garam_kuta wrote:

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

i know all tamil people are not like her. i know people who aren't like her. 
that remark reminded me of max because idk why. 

me too @ fasting. my mom fasts and i cannot understand why. i cannot be hungry.

I remember growing up neighborhood aunties used to fast and invite us for kanya bhoj. one particular lol aunty used to be like totally out of energy and talk almost in whispers and i was scared in my heart that she's going to die and worry why isn't she eating. they told me she will eat after we all finish. she used to sit with bunch of bananas and break one from the bunch to give it to the girls in a zombie like slow motion. i was too scared to go near her and never got the banana.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:04 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

lol!

Many Indians [arrogantly] claim that they write/spell better than Americans. Well, Max's and many South Indians' gripe is about North Indians insistence, on everyone speaking in Hindi while not making any effort to learn another Indian language.

i've never griped about northindian behavior. i don't give a crap about whether they learn tamil or any other language. i only point out that expectations of open mindedness are silly. my interest in hindustani music or knowledge of hindi has nothing to do with northindian expectations. i do it because it interests me, or i have some need for doing so. i do so entirely voluntarily, not to satisfy some government fiat nor to satisfy the expectations of some undereducated and incurious person.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:08 pm

Kinnera wrote:

no westerner has complained to me that i don't celebrate their festivals. the only occasions when i've had to tell someone off like that in the US is when i was approached by proselytizers, once a mormon missionary and the second time a jehovah's witness. on both occasions i curtly told them to buzz off, and they did. they didn't stand around and complain how insular tamil americans are, and so they were not at the receiving end of "the lecture".

incidentally, more americans have displayed curiosity about carnatic musicians than northindians ever have. there was a competent professional carnatic musician of american origin, a professor at wesleyan university in CT by the name of jon higgins. he used to be affectionately known as higgins bhagavathar in chennai music circles. i have posted clips of his music here. search on youtube for him. in fact it started with him, but wesleyan now has a full fledged degree program in carnatic music.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:19 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

no westerner has complained to me that i don't celebrate their festivals. the only occasions when i've had to tell someone off like that in the US is when i was approached by proselytizers, once a mormon missionary and the second time a jehovah's witness. on both occasions i curtly told them to buzz off, and they did. they didn't stand around and complain how insular tamil americans are, and so they were not at the receiving end of "the lecture".

incidentally, more americans have displayed curiosity about carnatic musicians than northindians ever have. there was a competent professional carnatic musician of american origin, a professor at wesleyan university in CT by the name of jon higgins. he used to be affectionately known as higgins bhagavathar in chennai music circles. i have posted clips of his music here. search on youtube for him. in fact it started with him, but wesleyan now has a full fledged degree program in carnatic music.
Proselytizing is different from someone at work wishing you, 'Merry Christmas' and you not wishing them back, but instead saying, 'I am a Hindu, you know. We don't celebrate Christmas. Our gods and festivals are different'. 

There are more americans appreciating Kuchipudi than tamilians, no not even the 'culture rich' and 'artsy lover' tamilians of Such. Nota  word of appreciation from them even when several beautiful Kuchipudi videos were posted here. Not that anyone cares! Just saying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

http://www.bhu.ac.in/performing_arts/courses.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

you haven't been to any non indian or non hindu festivals/feasts of your friends or colleagues? or wish them? or if they wish you (ignorantly), politely wish them back? or did you tell them to buzz off? 

forget seven's corelation to you. you are saying above, "regardless, the person who told you off is absolutely right in telling you that she doesn't celebrate ramanavami. why does it concern you whether or not she celebrates ramanavami? it's a religious festival, isn't it?"

among group of friends, i assume, you will behave the same way? remember the context of OP. it was a group of friends. Not some mormon or jenovah's witness on your doorstep.

and kindly try to stick to the topic. first you start talking about carnatic music, then you write a paragraph of irrelevant people playing it. not making any real point except showcasing your useless (to the topic) knowledge.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:40 pm

seven wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

I mean SERIOUSLY?!!!

i know all tamil people are not like her. i know people who aren't like her. 
that remark reminded me of max because idk why. 

me too @ fasting. my mom fasts and i cannot understand why. i cannot be hungry.

I remember growing up neighborhood aunties used to fast and invite us for kanya bhoj. one particular lol aunty used to be like totally out of energy and talk almost in whispers and i was scared in my heart that she's going to die and worry why isn't she eating. they told me she will eat after we all finish. she used to sit with bunch of bananas and break one from the bunch to give it to the girls in a zombie like slow motion. i was too scared to go near her and never got the banana.
You are a decent and civilized individual, seven flower NOT just sayin'

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

you haven't been to any non indian or non hindu festivals/feasts of your friends or colleagues? or wish them? or if they wish you (ignorantly), politely wish them back? or did you tell them to buzz off? 

forget seven's corelation to you. you are saying above, "regardless, the person who told you off is absolutely right in telling you that she doesn't celebrate ramanavami. why does it concern you whether or not she celebrates ramanavami? it's a religious festival, isn't it?"

among group of friends, i assume, you will behave the same way? remember the context of OP. it was a group of friends. Not some mormon or jenovah's witness on your doorstep.

and kindly try to stick to the topic. first you start talking about carnatic music, then you write a paragraph of irrelevant people playing it. not making any real point except showcasing your useless (to the topic) knowledge.

the issue is NOT whether i have been to a christmas party, but the OP's expectation that the tamil woman she spoke to acknowledge her wishes. i may or may not choose to return christmas wishes. and btw, i may not have reacted the way seven's tamil acquaintance did, even if i did not celebrate ramanavami (which my family in fact does celebrate). that still doesn't excuse seven's whining.

incidentally many jews in the northeast US make an express point of telling people who wish them christmas that they don't celebrate christmas. entirely their prerogative.

the reason i brought up carnatic music and cultural reciprocity is because seven was making a broader whine about culture and cultural insularity (as best as i could make out her somewhat incoherent post).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next